USS Pensacola (screw steamer) moored at Yerba Buena Island in San Francisco Bay while conducting an artillery drill in the foreground.
It was first commissioned on December 5, 1859 for towing to Washington Navy Yard for installation of machinery. She was decommissioned January 31, 1860, and commissioned in full on September 16, 1861 for use in the Civil War with Captain Henry W. Morris in command. At the time of the photo above, the Pensacola served as a training ship for Naval apprentices until going back into ordinary on May 31, 1899. She was back in commission July 14, 1901, subsequently used as receiving ship at Yerba Buena Training Station, San Francisco until finally decommissioning on December 6, 1911, and struck from the Navy Register on December 23. She was burned and sunk by the Navy in San Francisco Bay near Hunters Point early in May 1912.