Wide range of tire sizes required for military aircraft is illustrated by this December 1941 photograph. The tire at bottom is the type used on average medium bomber while small tires at top are for tail wheels of various types of aircrafts.
Range of Aircraft Tires Needed, 1941
- Cases of TNT shipping to England during WWII — Share the History Love... Cases of T.N.T. gunpowder shipped from the United States under lend-lease are stacked in the dump in a tunnel 100 feet underground dug out of solid rock, in western England. The staff here work 24 hours a day handling lend-lease materials arriving from the U.S. to the allied countries. Share the [...]
- Adding voices to a “Popeye” cartoon, 1942 — Share the History Love... Voices for the movie cartoon characters “Popeye” and “Olive Oyl” are Jack Mercer and his wife Margie, of Schenley Park in Miami, Florida, are shown adding their voices to a cartoon on January 4, 1942. They are seen dubbing in the voice parts of a new Popeye cartoon, “Kickin” the Conga. [...]
- Lifted skyward by the giant Perkins man-carrying kite, WWI — Share the History Love... Lieutenant Kirk Booth of the U.S. Signal Corps being lifted skyward by the giant Perkins man-carrying kite at Camp Devens, Ayer, Massachusetts. While the United States never used these kites during the war, the German and French armies put some to use on the front lines. Share the History Love... [...]
- Scouts and guides for the Army of the Potomac, 1862 — Share the History Love... Scouts and guides for the Army of the Potomac in Berlin, Md., October 1862. Share the History Love... [...]
- New Year’s Eve celebration at a U.S.O. Club, 1942 — Share the History Love... A crowd of military personnel and civilians gather at a U.S.O. club to celebrate New Year’s Eve on December 31, 1942. Share the History Love... [...]