Hawaiian lei sellers in 1901.
Hawaiian lei sellers, 1901
- Bureau of Standards determining the liveliness of baseballs, 1938 — Share the History Love... Using a newly designed apparatus, the U.S. Bureau of Standards workers are experimenting to determine the relative home-run qualities of American, National and International baseballs on February 21, 1938. In conducting the tests, a scientist pulls the trigger of an air gun loaded with a wooden projectile representing the slugger’s bat. [...]
- WPA’s mattress making project, 1939 — Share the History Love... WPA workers in New Orleans manufactured 17,682 mattresses and quilts to be distributed to the needy during 1939. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was established by executive order of Franklin Delano Roosevelt on May 6, 1935. It replaced the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) as the federal government agency responsible for [...]
- Bell and assistants observe a circular tetrahedral kite, 1908 — Share the History Love... Alexander Graham Bell (right) and his assistants observe the flight of a circular tetrahedral kite on July 7, 1908. Share the History Love... [...]
- Picking blackberries in Oregon, 1910 — Share the History Love... Women picking evergreen blackberries in western Oregon, 1910. Share the History Love... [...]
- “From the depths” by William Balfour Ker — Share the History Love... This 1906 print by William Balfour Ker shows a lavish social event in a large ballroom attended by the well-to-do; the party is disrupted when a fist erupts through the floor, beneath which are the struggling masses of the less fortunate who provide the foundation support on which the wealthy rest. [...]