Macy’s department store employee cleaning up piles of debris after the Christmas shopping rush on November 30, 1948.
After the Christmas shopping rush, 1948
- Lumberjacks with a 12-foot wide fir tree, 1901 — Share the History Love... Lumberjacks pose with a 12-foot-wide fir tree in 1901. Share the History Love... [...]
- Cantaloupe Pickers, 1935 — Share the History Love... Though farm work is strenuous and exhausting, this photograph suggests that jovial camaraderie could sometimes relieve the strain of being in the fields. Work was hard to come by in the 1930s, and these laborers probably counted themselves lucky to have found a paying job picking cantaloupes in the Imperial Valley’s [...]
- Cases of TNT shipping to England during WWII — Share the History Love... Cases of T.N.T. gunpowder shipped from the United States under lend-lease are stacked in the dump in a tunnel 100 feet underground dug out of solid rock, in western England. The staff here work 24 hours a day handling lend-lease materials arriving from the U.S. to the allied countries. Share the [...]
- Adding voices to a “Popeye” cartoon, 1942 — Share the History Love... Voices for the movie cartoon characters “Popeye” and “Olive Oyl” are Jack Mercer and his wife Margie, of Schenley Park in Miami, Florida, are shown adding their voices to a cartoon on January 4, 1942. They are seen dubbing in the voice parts of a new Popeye cartoon, “Kickin” the Conga. [...]
- Jewish women pray along the Williamsburg Bridge, 1909 — Share the History Love... Jewish women pray along the Williamsburg Bridge in New York City on New Year’s Day 1909. Share the History Love... [...]