Ahh Florida! You seem to have the oddest beauty contests. This gem comes to you again from the sunshine state. Not only did they have a contest for Miss Cigar Queen during their cigar festivals but they also had a beauty contest for their tobacco festivals (Miss Tobacco?).
Odd Contests: Miss Cigar Queen
- Unloading King Crab in Seldovia, 1965 — Share the History Love... Unloading king crab off a fishing boat in Seldovia, Alaska, 1965. Share the History Love... [...]
- Buzz Aldrin on the surface of the moon, 1969 — Share the History Love... Astronaut and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin moves toward a position to deploy two components of the Early Apollo Scientific Experiments Package (EASEP) on the surface of the moon during the Apollo 11 extravehicular activity. The Passive Seismic Experiments Package (PSEP) is in his left hand; and in his right hand [...]
- Odd Contest: Miss Tobacco — Share the History Love... How can Florida have a Miss Cigar beauty contest without a Miss Tobacco beauty contest?! It’s only the correct thing to do, right? There were a few tobacco festivals in Florida, some held beauty contests along with the festivities. Here are a few pictures of the past depicting those contests. Share [...]
- Civil Defense Portable Radio Unit, 1960s — Share the History Love... Man sits in front of several cases marked “Missouri Civil Defense Agency Portable Radio Unit,” one case opened to reveal radio unit, ca. 1960s. Share the History Love... [...]
- Intense moment in NASA’s Firing Room, 1964 — Share the History Love... This photograph depicts an intense moment during the SA-6 launch at the Firing Room on May 28, 1964. Dr. Wernher von Braun, Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) is at center; to his left is Dr. George Mueller, Associate Director for Marned Space Flight; and far right is Dr. [...]