Ahh Florida! You seem to have the oddest beauty contests. This gem comes to you again from the sunshine state. Not only did they have a contest for Miss Cigar Queen during their cigar festivals but they also had a beauty contest for their tobacco festivals (Miss Tobacco?).
Odd Contests: Miss Cigar Queen
- LBJ and Lady Bird watching the Apollo 11 launch, 1969 — Share the History Love... Former First Lady and President Lyndon B. Johnson and then-current Vice President Spiro Agnew (wearing gray blazer and sunglasses) are among the spectators at the launch of Apollo 11, which lifted off from Pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center at 9:32 am EDT on July 16, 1969. The crew, the first [...]
- Odd Contests: Prettiest Legs at the Fair, 1964 — Share the History Love... The 1964 New York World’s Fair saw a slew of fascinating and interesting exhibits, shows, and even beauty contests. One of them was a contest for the “Prettiest Legs at the Fair.” Let’s just say that the women participating to get a leg up in the competition…. Share the History Love... [...]
- Martin Luther King, Jr., waves to “March on Washington”... — Share the History Love... Civil rights leader Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. waves to supporters on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., during the “March on Washington,” on August 28, 1963. King said the march was “the greatest demonstration of freedom in the history of the United States.” Share the History Love... [...]
- Adding voices to a “Popeye” cartoon, 1942 — Share the History Love... Voices for the movie cartoon characters “Popeye” and “Olive Oyl” are Jack Mercer and his wife Margie, of Schenley Park in Miami, Florida, are shown adding their voices to a cartoon on January 4, 1942. They are seen dubbing in the voice parts of a new Popeye cartoon, “Kickin” the Conga. [...]
- Bob Dylan plays a bass guitar, 1964 — Share the History Love... Bob Dylan plays a bass guitar in a restaurant on June 15, 1964. Share the History Love... [...]