How can Florida have a Miss Cigar beauty contest without a Miss Tobacco beauty contest?! It’s only the correct thing to do, right? There were a few tobacco festivals in Florida, some held beauty contests along with the festivities. Here are a few pictures of the past depicting those contests.
Odd Contest: Miss Tobacco
- Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller at their wedding, 1956 — Share the History Love... Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller at their wedding. The were married in a civil ceremony at the Westchester County Court in White Plains, New York, on June 29, 1956 and, two days later, had a Jewish ceremony at Miller’s agent’s house at Waccabuc, New York. Share the History Love... [...]
- Redstone Missile on display in Grand Central Station, 1957 — Share the History Love... Redstone Missile on display in Grand Central Station July 7, 1957. It was the first large American ballistic missile. Share the History Love... [...]
- Entering through the Immigration Station in El Paso, 1938 — Share the History Love... Four Mexicans ladies and a young boy entering the United States through the El Paso immigration station in June 1938. Share the History Love... [...]
- Child recovering from Mumps, 1957 — Share the History Love... A January 16, 1957 AP file photo shows Greg Cox, left, 7, in Altamont, Ill., as he looks at his friend Jon Douglas, 6, through the doorway while he recovers from mumps. Greg’s parents posted the sign but it didn’t work out too well because most of Greg’s playmates were too [...]
- Tank following POWs in Korea, 1950 — Share the History Love... A U.S. Marine tank follows a line of prisoners of war down a village street on September 26, 1950. Share the History Love... [...]