Crowds gather near the White House (E and 15th Street) for the dedication of the William Tecumseh Sherman Memorial in 1903. In the background, the Washington Monument is visible.
Dedication of the Sherman Memorial, 1903
- FDR at Thanksgiving dinner in Warm Springs, 1938 — Share the History Love... FDR, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Robert Rosenbaum at Thanksgiving Dinner in Warm Springs, Georgia on November 24, 1938. Share the History Love... [...]
- Bell and assistants observe a circular tetrahedral kite, 1908 — Share the History Love... Alexander Graham Bell (right) and his assistants observe the flight of a circular tetrahedral kite on July 7, 1908. Share the History Love... [...]
- Hawaiian lei sellers, 1901 — Share the History Love... Hawaiian lei sellers in 1901. Share the History Love... [...]
- Union soldiers on Mason’s Island, 1861 — Share the History Love... Union soldiers on the Mason’s Island (Theodore Roosevelt Island) guarding the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. in 1861. Behind them is the Potomac Aqueduct Bridge and Georgetown University on top of the hill. During the Civil War, the island served as a storage and distribution site, and also as a training [...]
- “From the depths” by William Balfour Ker — Share the History Love... This 1906 print by William Balfour Ker shows a lavish social event in a large ballroom attended by the well-to-do; the party is disrupted when a fist erupts through the floor, beneath which are the struggling masses of the less fortunate who provide the foundation support on which the wealthy rest. [...]