Former Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter speaks at the “grand finale” of the local Democratic Party campaign on October 30, 1976. Joining him on the podium are many of Texas’ prominent Democrats, including Gov. Dolph Briscoe, Sen. Lloyd Bensen, and Rep. Henry B. Gonzalez. Another group of Carter supporters objected to the Alamo as a site for the event and held a simultaneous rally at HemisFair Plaza. Carter won the 1976 presidential race and became the 39th President of the United States.
Carter at the Alamo during the 1976 campaign
- Finishing touches on “Abe” in the Lincoln Memorial, 192... — Share the History Love... Finishing touches are made to the huge statue of Abraham Lincoln, which stands just inside the entrance of the Lincoln Memorial, prior to its dedication in Washington, D.C., on May 30, 1922. Share the History Love... [...]
- JFK & Jacqueline on their wedding day, 1953 — Share the History Love... Senator John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy on their wedding day at Hammersmith Farm on September 12, 1953. Share the History Love... [...]
- LBJ with civil rights leaders in the White House, 1964 — Share the History Love... In this January 18, 1964 photo, President Lyndon B. Johnson, right, talks with civil rights leaders in his White House office in Washington. The leaders, from left, are, Roy Wilkins, executive secretary of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP); James Farmer, national director of the Committee on [...]
- Shepherd taking sheep across Grand Coulee Dam, 1947 — Share the History Love... Joe Hodgin, an eastern Washington woolgrower, takes his herd of 2,600 sheep across the Grand Coulee Dam around 1947. Here is a video clip of the sheep herding: Share the History Love... [...]
- Santa on the slopes with Ford and Glenn, 1976 — Share the History Love... Santa Claus, Senator John Glenn, President Ford, Mrs. Claus, and Lt. Governor Robert Orr on the ski slopes in Vail, Colorado on Christmas Day 1976. Best known for being the first American to orbit the Earth and the oldest person to go into space, John Glenn also served as a U.S. [...]