Before the Hoover Dam could be built the Colorado River had to be diverted through tunnels. This piece of equipment, named a Jumbo Rig, was designed to speed up the tunnel drilling process. Built on the back of a 10-ton truck, 24 to 30 drills could be operated at once.
Workers on a “Jumbo Rig”at the Hoover Dam, 1930s
- FDR at Thanksgiving dinner in Warm Springs, 1938 — Share the History Love... FDR, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Robert Rosenbaum at Thanksgiving Dinner in Warm Springs, Georgia on November 24, 1938. Share the History Love... [...]
- Bureau of Standards determining the liveliness of baseballs, 1938 — Share the History Love... Using a newly designed apparatus, the U.S. Bureau of Standards workers are experimenting to determine the relative home-run qualities of American, National and International baseballs on February 21, 1938. In conducting the tests, a scientist pulls the trigger of an air gun loaded with a wooden projectile representing the slugger’s bat. [...]
- Salvaging old stockings during WWII — Share the History Love... This photograph depicts Deena Clark, Civilian Defense Volunteer (right), and Tech. Sgt. Leo Malkins of the Army Air Corps (left). The worn out nylon stockings in this barrel full of salvaged stockings will be reprocessed and made into parachutes for army fliers, tow ropes for gilder planes and other war material. [...]
- WPA’s mattress making project, 1939 — Share the History Love... WPA workers in New Orleans manufactured 17,682 mattresses and quilts to be distributed to the needy during 1939. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was established by executive order of Franklin Delano Roosevelt on May 6, 1935. It replaced the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) as the federal government agency responsible for [...]
- Range of Aircraft Tires Needed, 1941 — Share the History Love... Wide range of tire sizes required for military aircraft is illustrated by this December 1941 photograph. The tire at bottom is the type used on average medium bomber while small tires at top are for tail wheels of various types of aircrafts. Share the History Love... [...]