The inauguration of the Statue of Liberty, “Liberty Enlightening the World”, in New York Harbor, on October 28, 1886. A military and naval salute, marked the event, presided over by U.S. President Grover Cleveland.
Inauguration of the Statue of Liberty, 1886
- Stampeders with supplies during the Klondike Gold Rush — Share the History Love... Stampeders and their outfits in Dyea, Alaska. So many hopeful men (and a few women) were making the difficult journey into the Canadian and Alaskan wilderness in search of gold during the Klondike Gold Rush, the Canadian government started requiring every stampeder bring a year’s supply of goods before crossing the [...]
- Odd Contests: Prettiest Legs at the Fair, 1964 — Share the History Love... The 1964 New York World’s Fair saw a slew of fascinating and interesting exhibits, shows, and even beauty contests. One of them was a contest for the “Prettiest Legs at the Fair.” Let’s just say that the women participating to get a leg up in the competition…. Share the History Love... [...]
- Finishing touches on “Abe” in the Lincoln Memorial, 192... — Share the History Love... Finishing touches are made to the huge statue of Abraham Lincoln, which stands just inside the entrance of the Lincoln Memorial, prior to its dedication in Washington, D.C., on May 30, 1922. Share the History Love... [...]
- Interior of Chief Klart-Reech’s Whale House, 1895 — Share the History Love... The highly decorated items and interior of Chief Klart-Reech’s Whale House in Chilkat, Alaska in 1895. Share the History Love... [...]
- JFK & Jacqueline on their wedding day, 1953 — Share the History Love... Senator John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy on their wedding day at Hammersmith Farm on September 12, 1953. Share the History Love... [...]