Fred Stark, director of San Antonio Zoo, feeds new baby elephants that arrived overnight by railway express from their former home in Chicago’s Brookfield Zoo on April 5, 1962.
Feeding baby elephants at the San Antonio Zoo, 1962
- Walgreens (Nashville) lunch counter sit-in, 1960 — Share the History Love... Rodney Powell (standing) talks with other sit-in participants at Walgreens drugstore in Nashville, Tennessee on March 25, 1960. On February 13, 1960, members of the Nashville Student Movement and the Nashville Christian Leadership Council began a campaign of sit-ins at “whites only” lunch counters in Nashville stores. Their goal was to end [...]
- Students viewing an eclipse with “sun scopes,” 1963 — Share the History Love... A group of fifth-grade students in Maywood, Illinois view an eclipse with “sun scopes” on July 20, 1963. By piercing a three-millimeter hole in cardboard boxes to create crude pinhole cameras, the students could watch an inverted image of the eclipse cross the inside of the box without harming their eyes. [...]
- Welles at “The War of the Worlds” press conference, 193... — Share the History Love... Orson Welles meeting with reporters in an effort to explain that no one connected with The War of the Worlds radio broadcast had any idea the show would cause panic. The press conference took place on October 31, 1938. Share the History Love... [...]
- Removing a 20mm cannon from an F-100, 1967 — Share the History Love... On the hot flight line at Phu Cat Air Base, Airmen 2nd Class Francis Branch (left) and John Sellung remove a 20mm cannon from an F-100 aircraft in October 1967. Share the History Love... [...]
- Coca-Cola bottling line, 1958 — Share the History Love... Coca-Cola bottling line in a Fort Scott, Kansas factory, circa 1958 Share the History Love... [...]