Selected ‘Miss Christmas Tree of 1951’ by 40 members of the UCLA chapter, Sigma Chi fraternity, is 24-year-old Diane Dearborn. Miss Dearborn arrived in the United States seven weeks prior from Paris, France and was a singer. The collegians saw her picture in a newspaper and reportedly stated that ‘she seemed prettier that the rest of them’. She was selected ‘Miss Christmas Tree’ on December 21, 1951.
Odd Contests: Miss Christmas Tree
- Preparing a ski run for the Winter Olympics, 1959 — Share the History Love... Preparing a ski run on January 5, 1959. The ski run would be used for the 1960 Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley, California. Share the History Love... [...]
- Construction in Squaw Valley for 1960 Winter Olympics, 1958 — Share the History Love... Construction in Squaw Valley in preparation of the 1960 Winter Olympics, December 3, 1958. Share the History Love... [...]
- Roller Derby Skaters in the Penalty Box, 1950 — Share the History Love... Chicago Westerners Roller Derby skaters Ann Pernice, 19, and Eleanor Weber, 24, watch from the penalty box at the Coliseum at a Roller Derby in 1950. During the month of November, two teams of ten men and women each, skated against each other, sometimes traveling at speeds up to 30 miles [...]
- Valentine party at Encino Hospital, 1960 — Share the History Love... Daniel Lovett, 4, of Granada Hills enjoys treat at a Valentine party at Encino Hospital with Mrs. Lillian Grant, a nursing supervisor on February 15, 1960. The hospital annually has St. Valentine party for children. Daniel was there for a tonsillectomy. Share the History Love... [...]
- Women dressed up for Valentine’s Day, 1940s — Share the History Love... Clubwomen Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Kassob dressed up for Valentine’s Day in Los Angeles. They are wearing aprons with hearts on them and carrying trays. Share the History Love... [...]