Selected ‘Miss Christmas Tree of 1951’ by 40 members of the UCLA chapter, Sigma Chi fraternity, is 24-year-old Diane Dearborn. Miss Dearborn arrived in the United States seven weeks prior from Paris, France and was a singer. The collegians saw her picture in a newspaper and reportedly stated that ‘she seemed prettier that the rest of them’. She was selected ‘Miss Christmas Tree’ on December 21, 1951.
Odd Contests: Miss Christmas Tree
- Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller at their wedding, 1956 — Share the History Love... Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller at their wedding. The were married in a civil ceremony at the Westchester County Court in White Plains, New York, on June 29, 1956 and, two days later, had a Jewish ceremony at Miller’s agent’s house at Waccabuc, New York. Share the History Love... [...]
- Redstone Missile on display in Grand Central Station, 1957 — Share the History Love... Redstone Missile on display in Grand Central Station July 7, 1957. It was the first large American ballistic missile. Share the History Love... [...]
- KKK raid on San Pedro’s IWW Hall, 1924 — Share the History Love... San Pedro, California was a hotbed of Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) activity during the 1910s and early 1920s. IWW efforts to organize workers were often met with violence by individuals and organizations that saw them as a threat. In June 1924, the Ku Klux Klan attacked the members of [...]
- Child recovering from Mumps, 1957 — Share the History Love... A January 16, 1957 AP file photo shows Greg Cox, left, 7, in Altamont, Ill., as he looks at his friend Jon Douglas, 6, through the doorway while he recovers from mumps. Greg’s parents posted the sign but it didn’t work out too well because most of Greg’s playmates were too [...]
- Tank following POWs in Korea, 1950 — Share the History Love... A U.S. Marine tank follows a line of prisoners of war down a village street on September 26, 1950. Share the History Love... [...]