Commander Joseph A. Mirabito is laden with Christmas packages for personnel of the Navy’s Deepfreeze personnel in the Antarctic. The mail was forwarded early (October 22, 1957) to insure the men would receive the gifts well in advance of the holidays.
Christmas mail in the Antarctic, 1957
- USS Pensacola moored at Yerba Buena Island, 1899 — Share the History Love... USS Pensacola (screw steamer) moored at Yerba Buena Island in San Francisco Bay while conducting an artillery drill in the foreground. It was first commissioned on December 5, 1859 for towing to Washington Navy Yard for installation of machinery. She was decommissioned January 31, 1860, and commissioned in full on September 16, 1861 for [...]
- JFK & Jacqueline on their wedding day, 1953 — Share the History Love... Senator John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy on their wedding day at Hammersmith Farm on September 12, 1953. Share the History Love... [...]
- Jewish women pray along the Williamsburg Bridge, 1909 — Share the History Love... Jewish women pray along the Williamsburg Bridge in New York City on New Year’s Day 1909. Share the History Love... [...]
- Polar Bear club celebrating the New Year, 1967 — Share the History Love... “Ice” way to celebrate the new year! Polar Bear club the “Iceberg A.C.” goes for a cold dip at Coney Island on New Year’s Day 1967. Share the History Love... [...]
- New Year’s Eve celebration at a U.S.O. Club, 1942 — Share the History Love... A crowd of military personnel and civilians gather at a U.S.O. club to celebrate New Year’s Eve on December 31, 1942. Share the History Love... [...]