Massive dark cloud approaching Rolla, Kansas on May 6, 1935.
Dust storm in Rolla, Kansas, 1935
- Lou Hoover passing out food baskets & toys, 1930 — Share the History Love... Lou Hoover passing out food baskets and toys to children of families impoverished by the Great Depression at Washington’s Central Union Mission. Share the History Love... [...]
- Time Square during the Great Blizzard of 1947 — Share the History Love... Time Square aglow during the Great Blizzard of 1947. As LIFE put it to its readers in its Jan. 5, 1948, issue: At 3:20 in the morning it began to snow in New York City. By the time most New Yorkers were going to work the blanket lay three inches deep. [...]
- WPA’s mattress making project, 1939 — Share the History Love... WPA workers in New Orleans manufactured 17,682 mattresses and quilts to be distributed to the needy during 1939. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was established by executive order of Franklin Delano Roosevelt on May 6, 1935. It replaced the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) as the federal government agency responsible for [...]
- Picking blackberries in Oregon, 1910 — Share the History Love... Women picking evergreen blackberries in western Oregon, 1910. Share the History Love... [...]
- Hoover with Mary Pickford, 1931 — Share the History Love... Film star Mary Pickford gives President Herbert Hoover a ticket for a film industry benefit for the unemployed, November 12, 1931. Share the History Love... [...]