Female students playing basketball in a gymnasium in Western High School, Washington, D.C., circa 1899.
Women playing basketball, 1899
- Odd Contests: Pumpkin Princess & Pumpkin Queen — Share the History Love... Janice Lee Ortieb, age 4, and Patricia Lynn Barlow, age 16 were elected the San Fernando Valley’s first Pumpkin Princess and Pumpkin Queen at the Balboa Mission Center on November 20, 1961. The girls will reign through Thanksgiving Eve from a throne inside a $15,000 custom-built Pumpkin House at the Balboa Mission [...]
- Union soldiers on Mason’s Island, 1861 — Share the History Love... Union soldiers on the Mason’s Island (Theodore Roosevelt Island) guarding the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. in 1861. Behind them is the Potomac Aqueduct Bridge and Georgetown University on top of the hill. During the Civil War, the island served as a storage and distribution site, and also as a training [...]
- Picking blackberries in Oregon, 1910 — Share the History Love... Women picking evergreen blackberries in western Oregon, 1910. Share the History Love... [...]
- Kindergarten costume parade, 1965 — Share the History Love... Children in costumes from Central School kindergarten paraded around town of Vernal (Utah) in their costumes, 1965. Share the History Love... [...]
- Woman on a modified broom, 1977 — Share the History Love... An unidentified woman on a broom that has been modified with bicycle parts and a flashlight on October 28, 1977. The National Archives took the above picture and turned it into a gif. Enjoy! Share the History Love... [...]