Women and girls reading near swingset where younger children are suspended in hammock-like swings, July 1910.
Women and girls reading near a swingset, 1910
- Mr. President: Let’s have an old-fashioned Christmas, 1922 — Women demonstrators requesting political amnesty outside the White House on December 22, 1922. Their sign says, “Mr. President, let’s have an old-fashioned Christmas,” and shows Santa Claus carrying a bag of gifts including, the Constitution, Free Assemblage, Free Speech, and Free Press. Share the History Love... [...]
- Policewoman arresting suffrage pickers, 1917 — Florence Youmans of Minnesota (left), clutching a suffrage propaganda banner, and Annie Arniel of Delaware (center), being approached in front of the White House gates by an unidentified policewoman, who appears to have seized Arniel’s banner, while a third unidentified suffrage picket watches from behind her tri-color purple, white, and gold National Woman’s Party flag, [...]
- Young cutter in a canning factory, 1911 — Ralph, a young cutter in a canning factory, shows off his butcher knife and a badly cut finger. Several children working with him had cut fingers and even the adults said they could not help cutting themselves. Photograph was taken by Lewis Hine as he was documenting working conditions of children laborers in Eastport, Maine [...]
- Woman with snowshoes, 1909 — Florence (Flo) Sallows Saunders, the daughter of the photographer, stands under a snow-covered cedar gateway into a garden with snowshoes. She wears a wide-brimmed fur hat, light woolen sweater with dark trim down front and on cuffs along with black gloves. In the photograph below, Flo is captured on a snow-covered balcony with snowshoes hanging on her back. The photographs were [...]
- Girls with snowshoes having fun, 1929-1932 — Two girls laying in the snow wearing snowshoes on Mt. Baker, Washington, ca. 1929-1932. Share the History Love... [...]