Oakland Commuters leaving the Statehouse Hotel for their first PCL game against Sacramento, 1903.
Oakland Commuters on opening day, 1903
- Bureau of Standards determining the liveliness of baseballs, 1938 — Share the History Love... Using a newly designed apparatus, the U.S. Bureau of Standards workers are experimenting to determine the relative home-run qualities of American, National and International baseballs on February 21, 1938. In conducting the tests, a scientist pulls the trigger of an air gun loaded with a wooden projectile representing the slugger’s bat. [...]
- Roller Derby Skaters at the Starting Line, 1936 — Share the History Love... Roller derby skaters, from left, Louise Thomas, Elizabeth “Libby” Hoover, Pudge Dyer, Jayne Cummings and Mildred Arndt, are started by Harry Newman on Jan. 4, 1936. Share the History Love... [...]
- Roller skating, ca. 1905 — Share the History Love... Portrait of a man in roller skates around 1905. Share the History Love... [...]
- President Bush (Sr.) playing horseshoes, 1989 — Share the History Love... President George H.W. Bush and his son Marvin playing horseshoes on the South Lawn shortly after its installation in April 1989. While serving as vice president, George H. W. Bush enjoyed playing horseshoes in his spare time. After becoming president, he had a horseshoe pit installed on the White House South [...]
- Women fishing, 1938 — Share the History Love... Women fishing in 1938. Share the History Love... [...]