Children in bathing suits sit on a pile of snow as they hold up handfuls of the white stuff that was brought to the beach at The Pike in Long Beach. A large crowd of spectators watches in the background. The roller coaster at The Pike is visible behind the spectators.
Snow in Long Beach, 1930
- USS Pensacola moored at Yerba Buena Island, 1899 — Share the History Love... USS Pensacola (screw steamer) moored at Yerba Buena Island in San Francisco Bay while conducting an artillery drill in the foreground. It was first commissioned on December 5, 1859 for towing to Washington Navy Yard for installation of machinery. She was decommissioned January 31, 1860, and commissioned in full on September 16, 1861 for [...]
- Cantaloupe Pickers, 1935 — Share the History Love... Though farm work is strenuous and exhausting, this photograph suggests that jovial camaraderie could sometimes relieve the strain of being in the fields. Work was hard to come by in the 1930s, and these laborers probably counted themselves lucky to have found a paying job picking cantaloupes in the Imperial Valley’s [...]
- Chaplin & Einstein attend a movie premiere, 1931 — Share the History Love... On February 2, 1931, film star Charlie Chaplin (center-right) attends the premiere of his newest film City Lights in Los Angeles, accompanied by his guests of honor: physicist Albert Einstein, and his wife, Elsa Einstein. Einstein, still a German citizen at the time, had been traveling in the United States, and [...]
- Sheriff deputies dumping illegal booze in Santa Ana, 1932 — Share the History Love... Orange County Sheriff deputies dumping illegal booze in Santa Ana on March 31, 1932. Share the History Love... [...]
- Ushering in the New Year on the beach, 1933 — Share the History Love... Three women usher in the New Year somewhere in Southern California, 1933. Share the History Love... [...]