Francis Criss, in his studio, working on a sketch for Art Week for the New York City W.P.A. Art Project, October 29, 1940.
Francis Criss in his Studio, 1940
- Cantaloupe Pickers, 1935 — Share the History Love... Though farm work is strenuous and exhausting, this photograph suggests that jovial camaraderie could sometimes relieve the strain of being in the fields. Work was hard to come by in the 1930s, and these laborers probably counted themselves lucky to have found a paying job picking cantaloupes in the Imperial Valley’s [...]
- Odd Contests: Prettiest Legs at the Fair, 1964 — Share the History Love... The 1964 New York World’s Fair saw a slew of fascinating and interesting exhibits, shows, and even beauty contests. One of them was a contest for the “Prettiest Legs at the Fair.” Let’s just say that the women participating to get a leg up in the competition…. Share the History Love... [...]
- Barge of Dinosaurs for the 1964 New York World’s Fair — Share the History Love... Dinosaurs on a barge heading to the site of the 1964/1965 New York World’s Fair. The 1964-65 statues were created in Mahopac, New York and included a Tyrannosaurus Rex, the horned Triceratops, the plated Stegosaurus and the lovable Apatosaurus. The dinosaurs took three years to build with a team of paleontologists, [...]
- The Beatles arrive at JFK Airport, 1964 — Share the History Love... The Beatles arrive at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport on February 7, 1964. From left: John Lennon (waving), Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison. 1964 was the year Beatlemania swept through the United States. Share the History Love... [...]
- Jewish women pray along the Williamsburg Bridge, 1909 — Share the History Love... Jewish women pray along the Williamsburg Bridge in New York City on New Year’s Day 1909. Share the History Love... [...]