Photographs capturing the demolition of the Boulevard apartment block in preparation for the construction of the War Office in Washington, D.C. in 1940.
Demolition of an apartment block, 1940
- Snowball fight between Senate pages — Share the History Love... A United States Senate Page is a non-partisan federal employee serving the United States Senate in Washington, D.C. Despite the non-partisan affiliation, pages are typically divided to serve the party that appointed them. These photos show Senate pages engaging each other in a classic snowball fight. Share the History Love... [...]
- Lou Hoover passing out food baskets & toys, 1930 — Share the History Love... Lou Hoover passing out food baskets and toys to children of families impoverished by the Great Depression at Washington’s Central Union Mission. Share the History Love... [...]
- Lighting of the National Christmas Tree, 1940 — Share the History Love... Lighting of the National Christmas Tree on December 24, 1940. Share the History Love... [...]
- USS Akron over the Lincoln Memorial, 1931 — Share the History Love... The airship USS Akron (ZRS-4) flying over the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., 1931. The Akron was destroyed during a thunderstorm off the coast of New Jersey on April 4, 1933. All but three of the 76 crew and passengers were killed – it was the greatest loss of life in any airship [...]
- Union soldiers on Mason’s Island, 1861 — Share the History Love... Union soldiers on the Mason’s Island (Theodore Roosevelt Island) guarding the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. in 1861. Behind them is the Potomac Aqueduct Bridge and Georgetown University on top of the hill. During the Civil War, the island served as a storage and distribution site, and also as a training [...]