Dorothy Kelly teeing off on a giant block of ice. The others in the group are Virginia Hunter, Elaine Griggs, Hazel Brown, and Mary Kaminsky, Washington, D.C., 1926. The women are in full flapper style in their bathing suits and bobbed hair.
Teeing off a Giant Block of Ice, 1926
- Odd Contests: Pumpkin Princess & Pumpkin Queen — Share the History Love... Janice Lee Ortieb, age 4, and Patricia Lynn Barlow, age 16 were elected the San Fernando Valley’s first Pumpkin Princess and Pumpkin Queen at the Balboa Mission Center on November 20, 1961. The girls will reign through Thanksgiving Eve from a throne inside a $15,000 custom-built Pumpkin House at the Balboa Mission [...]
- Union soldiers on Mason’s Island, 1861 — Share the History Love... Union soldiers on the Mason’s Island (Theodore Roosevelt Island) guarding the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. in 1861. Behind them is the Potomac Aqueduct Bridge and Georgetown University on top of the hill. During the Civil War, the island served as a storage and distribution site, and also as a training [...]
- Roller Derby Skaters at the Starting Line, 1936 — Share the History Love... Roller derby skaters, from left, Louise Thomas, Elizabeth “Libby” Hoover, Pudge Dyer, Jayne Cummings and Mildred Arndt, are started by Harry Newman on Jan. 4, 1936. Share the History Love... [...]
- Alaskan Army dog teams, WWII — Share the History Love... In this snow-covered post, somewhere in Alaska, dog teams perform tasks in country impassible to other forms of locomotion. They are kept by the Quartermaster Corps of the Army, for hauling food to snow-bound infantry units and locating and aiding fliers forced down in the wilderness. Three of the dog teams [...]
- Licking ice blocks during heat wave, 1912 — Share the History Love... Licking blocks of ice during heat wave in 1912 in New York city. Share the History Love... [...]