Japanese men and women walking among the Cherry Blossoms on the Tidal Basin in Washington, D.C., March 1930.
Japanese men & women among the Cherry Blossoms, 1930
- Wrecked destroyers at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, 1941 — Share the History Love... The wrecked destroyers USS Downes (DD-375) and USS Cassin (DD-372) in Drydock One at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, soon after the end of the Japanese air attack on December 7, 1941. Cassin has capsized against Downes. USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) is astern, occupying the rest of the drydock. The torpedo-damaged cruiser USS [...]
- USS Akron over the Lincoln Memorial, 1931 — Share the History Love... The airship USS Akron (ZRS-4) flying over the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., 1931. The Akron was destroyed during a thunderstorm off the coast of New Jersey on April 4, 1933. All but three of the 76 crew and passengers were killed – it was the greatest loss of life in any airship [...]
- Union soldiers on Mason’s Island, 1861 — Share the History Love... Union soldiers on the Mason’s Island (Theodore Roosevelt Island) guarding the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. in 1861. Behind them is the Potomac Aqueduct Bridge and Georgetown University on top of the hill. During the Civil War, the island served as a storage and distribution site, and also as a training [...]
- Picking blackberries in Oregon, 1910 — Share the History Love... Women picking evergreen blackberries in western Oregon, 1910. Share the History Love... [...]
- Train Loaded with Logs for the Mill, 1900 — Share the History Love... Photograph of a log train loaded with logs for the mill, in a redwood forest, ca.1900. About 10 lumberjacks are standing or sitting on logs or the train. Other logs sit on the ground (foreground). Steam is issuing from the train engine. The thick redwood forest is visible in the background. [...]