The year 1943 started out with a bang as the first war bond of the year was sold to actress Rita Hayworth at one minute after midnight. She was in the studio of the Columbia Broadcasting System representing Columbia Studios. The “titian-haired” star purchased a $10,000 bond from John R. Richards (shown on the left). The interaction was broadcast nationwide. Photograph dated January 1, 1943.
Rita Hayworth Buys First 1943 War Bond
- Joseph Clovese at the last G.A.R. reunion, 1949 — Share the History Love... Joseph Clovese, G.A.R. veteran, at the 83rd and final G.A.R. reunion held in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 28, 1949. This was the first Civil War reunion for the former Union soldier who had been born into slavery 105 years earlier. Born January 30, 1844 on a plantation in St. Bernard Parish, LA, [...]
- Publicity still of Greta Garbo, 1931 — Share the History Love... Actress Greta Garbo in a publicity still for the American film Inspiration in 1931. Share the History Love... [...]
- Using skis to get around during the Battle of the Bulge — Share the History Love... With no sidewalks or pathways on the rough airfield, Maj. George Brooking found it easier to use skis to go from the briefing tent to his P-47 during the Battle of the Bulge. Share the History Love... [...]
- Welles at “The War of the Worlds” press conference, 193... — Share the History Love... Orson Welles meeting with reporters in an effort to explain that no one connected with The War of the Worlds radio broadcast had any idea the show would cause panic. The press conference took place on October 31, 1938. Share the History Love... [...]
- Rutherford & Lucy Hayes on their wedding day, 1852 — Share the History Love... Rutherford B. Hayes and his wife Lucy on their wedding day on December 30, 1852. Share the History Love... [...]