There is no shortage of animal posts around social media. From videos of cats scaring other cats to images of dogs sleeping at weird angles, posts and articles about animals are not hard to find. Since my sister runs a cool blog about her dog, I constantly see her dog in various costumes and attire. Oddly enough, this is not a new thing. Apparently – as seen in these interesting vintage photographs – people in c. 1905 also dressed their dogs up. I can’t decide if they are the same dog or not….
Vintage Dogs in Costumes
- Farmer on a loaded wagon outside barn, 1925 — Share the History Love... Farm wagons were all-purpose horse-drawn vehicles that could carry crops from the field to the barn or to market. This model — with an open body and no driver’s seat — was simple, but handy. It readily hauled this load of bagged seed or grain. Share the History Love... [...]
- San Juan Capistrano officials standing on horses, 1929 — Share the History Love... Local officials including Orange County Supervisors Willard Smith and William Schumacher on horses while inspecting the site of the Ortega Highway, 1929 Share the History Love... [...]
- Thanksgiving play at Bowie School, 1940 — Share the History Love... Thanksgiving play at Bowie School in San Antonio, 1940. Share the History Love... [...]
- Mary Pickford with a cat, 1916 — Share the History Love... Film star Mary Pickford poses for The Photo-Play Journal with a kitten on her shoulder, June 1916. Share the History Love... [...]
- Kindergarten costume parade, 1965 — Share the History Love... Children in costumes from Central School kindergarten paraded around town of Vernal (Utah) in their costumes, 1965. Share the History Love... [...]