There is no shortage of animal posts around social media. From videos of cats scaring other cats to images of dogs sleeping at weird angles, posts and articles about animals are not hard to find. Since my sister runs a cool blog about her dog, I constantly see her dog in various costumes and attire. Oddly enough, this is not a new thing. Apparently – as seen in these interesting vintage photographs – people in c. 1905 also dressed their dogs up. I can’t decide if they are the same dog or not….
Vintage Dogs in Costumes
- Ballet rehearsals in New York City, ca. 1916 — Share the History Love... An unidentified group of 6 women & 2 men during ballet rehearsals in New York City, ca. 1916. Share the History Love... [...]
- New York garment workers, 1908 — Share the History Love... Mrs. Battaglia, Tessie (12 years old), Tony (7 years old) live at 170 Mulberry St. in the rear house on the 5th floor in New York. They work as garment workers. Mrs. Battaglia’s husband was crippled by a fall. She works in the shop everyday except Saturdays, when the children sew with [...]
- Transporting dogs to the Alamo Heights Veterinary Clinic, 1946 — Share the History Love... Ruben Donovan in a three-wheeled scooter used to transport dogs to the Alamo Heights Veterinary Clinic on Broadway in San Antonio, 1946. Share the History Love... [...]
- Carriage on a Yosemite Valley trail — Share the History Love... Horse-drawn carriage on a trail in Yosemite Valley, California. Share the History Love... [...]
- Mayo and Humphrey Bogart with their dogs, 1944 — Share the History Love... Publicity still of Mayo Methot and Humphrey Bogart with their three dogs on June 12, 1944. Share the History Love... [...]