A returning soldier is greeted by his wife as he arrives at Christmastime, November 24, 1945.
Soldier Comes Home for Christmas, 1945
- USS Pensacola moored at Yerba Buena Island, 1899 — Share the History Love... USS Pensacola (screw steamer) moored at Yerba Buena Island in San Francisco Bay while conducting an artillery drill in the foreground. It was first commissioned on December 5, 1859 for towing to Washington Navy Yard for installation of machinery. She was decommissioned January 31, 1860, and commissioned in full on September 16, 1861 for [...]
- Cantaloupe Pickers, 1935 — Share the History Love... Though farm work is strenuous and exhausting, this photograph suggests that jovial camaraderie could sometimes relieve the strain of being in the fields. Work was hard to come by in the 1930s, and these laborers probably counted themselves lucky to have found a paying job picking cantaloupes in the Imperial Valley’s [...]
- Cases of TNT shipping to England during WWII — Share the History Love... Cases of T.N.T. gunpowder shipped from the United States under lend-lease are stacked in the dump in a tunnel 100 feet underground dug out of solid rock, in western England. The staff here work 24 hours a day handling lend-lease materials arriving from the U.S. to the allied countries. Share the [...]
- Chaplin & Einstein attend a movie premiere, 1931 — Share the History Love... On February 2, 1931, film star Charlie Chaplin (center-right) attends the premiere of his newest film City Lights in Los Angeles, accompanied by his guests of honor: physicist Albert Einstein, and his wife, Elsa Einstein. Einstein, still a German citizen at the time, had been traveling in the United States, and [...]
- JFK & Jacqueline on their wedding day, 1953 — Share the History Love... Senator John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy on their wedding day at Hammersmith Farm on September 12, 1953. Share the History Love... [...]