Guide cutting steps on ice slope near summit of Mount Rainier in Washington, 1908.
Guide on Icy Mount Rainier, 1908
- Polar Bear club celebrating the New Year, 1967 — Share the History Love... “Ice” way to celebrate the new year! Polar Bear club the “Iceberg A.C.” goes for a cold dip at Coney Island on New Year’s Day 1967. Share the History Love... [...]
- Shepherd taking sheep across Grand Coulee Dam, 1947 — Share the History Love... Joe Hodgin, an eastern Washington woolgrower, takes his herd of 2,600 sheep across the Grand Coulee Dam around 1947. Here is a video clip of the sheep herding: Share the History Love... [...]
- Santa Claus soaking his feet, 1940 — Share the History Love... This December 1940 photo shows an exhausted Santa Claus bathing his tired feet in a hot mustard bath. On Christmas night in 1940, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer gave several accounts of Santa Claus’ long day. The police reporter noted that Santa was “unacountably missing” from the North Pole for twelve hours. A [...]
- Singing Christmas carols in Iceland, 1942 — Share the History Love... “The Christmas spirit is universal, the traditions unchanging even in the midst of war. Where ever our American troops are to be found throughout the world Christmas Carols will be heard in joyful hymns on the eve of the Nativity of Christ.” Shown here in Iceland, soldiers are singing the Christmas [...]
- Santa on the slopes with Ford and Glenn, 1976 — Share the History Love... Santa Claus, Senator John Glenn, President Ford, Mrs. Claus, and Lt. Governor Robert Orr on the ski slopes in Vail, Colorado on Christmas Day 1976. Best known for being the first American to orbit the Earth and the oldest person to go into space, John Glenn also served as a U.S. [...]