Professor Thaddeus S. Lowe’s military balloon near Gaines Mill, Virginia. The photo shows the inflation of the balloon “Intrepid” from portable gas tanks with help from the Union soldiers in Henrico County, Virginia. The balloon was used to survey the Battle of Fair Oaks. Lowe, not visible in this image, is standing to the right of the balloon.
Military Balloon, 1862
- Search and Destroy Reconnaissance Mission, 1967 — Operation “Oregon,” a search and destroy mission conducted by an infantry platoon of Troop B, 1st Reconnaissance Squadron, 9th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), three kilometers west of Duc Pho, Quang Ngai Province. An infantryman is lowered into a tunnel by members of the reconnaissance platoon on April 24, 1967. Share the History Love... [...]
- Displaying Slug at the Mooring Mast Field’s Dispensary, 1941 — The Marine Corps Air Station Ewa was located on Oahu’s southwest shore. The U.S. Navy began leasing parts of the area in 1925 but the Marine Corps Air Station at Ewa was not formally commissioned until February 3, 1941. Officers had barley moved into their quarters at Ewa when the attack on Pearl Harbor occurred. Unlike other airfields that [...]
- Rita Hayworth Buys First 1943 War Bond — The year 1943 started out with a bang as the first war bond of the year was sold to actress Rita Hayworth at one minute after midnight. She was in the studio of the Columbia Broadcasting System representing Columbia Studios. The “titian-haired” star purchased a $10,000 bond from John R. Richards (shown on the left). [...]
- Soldier Comes Home for Christmas, 1945 — A returning soldier is greeted by his wife as he arrives at Christmastime, November 24, 1945. Share the History Love... [...]
- Catching a Few Winks, WWII — Her wounded cases resting comfortably, Lieutenant (junior grade) Mae Hanson, U.S. Naval Reserve, takes a few moments aboard a Naval Air Transport Service hospital plane to nap. The plane wings its way from Okinawa to a Marianas base hospital with American casualties. The 24-year-old Navy flight nurse’s home is Benson, Minnesota. Share the History Love... [...]