Professor Thaddeus S. Lowe’s military balloon near Gaines Mill, Virginia. The photo shows the inflation of the balloon “Intrepid” from portable gas tanks with help from the Union soldiers in Henrico County, Virginia. The balloon was used to survey the Battle of Fair Oaks. Lowe, not visible in this image, is standing to the right of the balloon.
Military Balloon, 1862
- Mochida family awaiting evacuation, 1942 — Two children of the Mochida family who, with their parents, are awaiting evacuation bus in Hayward, California on May 8, 1942. The youngster on the right holds a sandwich given her by one of a group of women who were present from a local church. The family unit is kept intact during evacuation and at [...]
- Marines pay respects to fallen buddies, 1950 — Marines of the First Marine Division pay their respects to fallen buddies during memorial services at the division’s cemetery at Hamhung, Korea, following the break-out from Chosin Reservoir, December 13, 1950. Share the History Love... [...]
- “One of the hottest bands in the European Theater”, 194... — “Somewhere in England one of the hottest bands in the European Theater of Operations belongs to a Special United States Naval Construction Battalion.” The band leader and trumpeter is Coxswain Thomas J. Lindsey (left), and the drummer is S1c. Edward A. Grant. This photograph of them was taken on December 14, 1944. Share the [...]
- First aid training during Civil Defense mock evacuation, 1956 — First aid training during Wright City’s (Missouri) mock evacuation – a part of the overall civil defense effort during the Cold War. Share the History Love... [...]
- Donating silk stockings, 1942 — Silk stockings which can no longer be worn are being collected in stores throughout the country for conversation into powder bags which propel the projectile in big naval and coast defense guns, December 1942. Share the History Love... [...]