Professor Thaddeus S. Lowe’s military balloon near Gaines Mill, Virginia. The photo shows the inflation of the balloon “Intrepid” from portable gas tanks with help from the Union soldiers in Henrico County, Virginia. The balloon was used to survey the Battle of Fair Oaks. Lowe, not visible in this image, is standing to the right of the balloon.
Military Balloon, 1862
- Publicizing salvage campaign at Douglas Aircraft Company, 1942 — Annette del Sur publicizing salvage campaign in the yard of the Douglas Aircraft Company, Long Beach, California in October 1942. Share the History Love... [...]
- Setting off a purple smoke bomb, 1967 — Companies B and C, 1st Bn, 8th Inf, 1st Bde, 4th Inf Div, assemble on top of Hill 742, located five miles northeast of Dak To, prior to moving out. A purple smoke bomb is ignited in the background to guide in a helicopter. This photograph was taken sometime between November 14-17, 1967 during the [...]
- Resting on the way to an aid station, 1951 — 1st Lt. Dowell Hudson, Co. C, 1st Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment, stops to rest on his way to the aid station. With pain in his face after a six-hour walk on a wounded leg, Lt. Hudson refused a stretcher because “others need it worse than I”. He was wounded in the attack on Hill 1171 [...]
- Union band on Lookout Mountain, 1864 — Union Army brass band posed and playing atop Lookout Mountain in 1864. The Tennessee River is in the background. Lookout Mountain was the home of the 1863 Battle of Lookout Mountain during the Chattanooga Campaign. Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker led the Union forces in an attack against Confederate forces commanded by Maj. Gen. Carter L. [...]
- Mechanics checking engine of an SNJ, 1942 — Mechanics checking the engine of an North American SNJ Texan at Kingsville Field at the Naval Air Training Command in Corpus Christi, Texas, November 1942. Share the History Love... [...]