Professor Thaddeus S. Lowe’s military balloon near Gaines Mill, Virginia. The photo shows the inflation of the balloon “Intrepid” from portable gas tanks with help from the Union soldiers in Henrico County, Virginia. The balloon was used to survey the Battle of Fair Oaks. Lowe, not visible in this image, is standing to the right of the balloon.
Military Balloon, 1862
- Sitting along the slope of Hill 902, 1951 — Pfc. Julias Van Den Stock of Company A, 32nd Regimental Combat Team, 7th Infantry Division with M1 or M2 Carbine, rests on a Chinese Communist bunker with a Soviet DP light machine gun, along the slope of Hill 902 north of Ip-Tong on April 25, 1951. Share the History Love... [...]
- Letters From the Front – World War II — 72 years ago today, Darrel “Happy” Neil of the 120th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division, wrote home. Born in 1922 in Mulberry, Kansas, Neil, at the age of 20, married Wilma Harvey. Four months later, he was shipped overseas. May 23, 1944 Dear Mom & Dad, I have some spare time so I will drop [...]
- Sending books to the Rhineland, 1919 — After the Armistice, books followed the army occupied regions, where Cologne was the center for book distribution. Here crates of books are loaded on a German freight car, destined to a YMCA Library in the Rhineland in 1919. Share the History Love... [...]
- Female Yeoman recruiting for men and Victory Loans, 1919 — In New York City, female Yeomen assisted the Navy in recruiting and carrying out the Victory Loan drive on May 8, 1919. These Yeomen were stationed in Washington, D.C. Note the advertising structure built to resemble a battleship’s superstructure. In addition to its recruiting and Victory Loan signs, it features copies of the two Howard [...]
- Franklin Pierce in uniform, 1852 — Half plate daguerreotype of Franklin Pierce in uniform as a Brigadier General in the Mexican-American War, 1852. Share the History Love... [...]