Professor Thaddeus S. Lowe’s military balloon near Gaines Mill, Virginia. The photo shows the inflation of the balloon “Intrepid” from portable gas tanks with help from the Union soldiers in Henrico County, Virginia. The balloon was used to survey the Battle of Fair Oaks. Lowe, not visible in this image, is standing to the right of the balloon.
Military Balloon, 1862
- U.S. sailors looking over equipment of a Japanese Medical Unit, 194... — U.S. sailors looking over equipment of a seized Japanese Medical Unit which occupied an underground hole in Japanese defenses on Attu on May 28, 1943. Share the History Love... [...]
- Medical evacuation patients on the USS Tripoli, 1967 — Wounded Marines on the deck of the Amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli (LPH-10) await transfer to the 22nd Casualty Station in Danang from which they will be sent to the States, July 1967. Share the History Love... [...]
- William T. Sherman leaning on breach of gun, 1864 — Gen. William T. Sherman, leaning on breach of gun, and staff at Federal Fort No. 7 in Atlanta Georgia. George N. Barnard, photographer, 1864. This photograph of Sherman was taken after three and a half months of incessant maneuvering and much hard fighting. Sherman forced Hood to abandon the munitions center of the Confederacy in [...]
- Celebrating Passover in South Korea, 1951 — Soldiers celebrating Passover in Seoul, Korea, 1952. Share the History Love... [...]
- Protestant service on a steep hill during the Vietnam War — Stacks of C-ration cartons serve as both seating and altar for the Protestant service conducted by Chaplain Lieutenant L.L. Ahrnsbrak for members of the 3rd Platoon, Company G, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines, at a cleared and sangbagged position on a steep hill during the Vietnam War. Share the History Love... [...]