Professor Thaddeus S. Lowe’s military balloon near Gaines Mill, Virginia. The photo shows the inflation of the balloon “Intrepid” from portable gas tanks with help from the Union soldiers in Henrico County, Virginia. The balloon was used to survey the Battle of Fair Oaks. Lowe, not visible in this image, is standing to the right of the balloon.
Military Balloon, 1862
- Women soldering cable eyes, 1919 — Women workers soldering cable eyes at a naval aircraft factory in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on February 17, 1919. Share the History Love... [...]
- Officers and crew on the USS Hunchback, 1864-1865 — The USS Hunchback’s officers and crew on deck in the James River, Virginia, 1864-65. One man is playing the banjo in the foreground, another is holding a small white dog, while others are reading newspapers. Men seated in center appear to be peeling potatoes. Many crewmen are wearing their flathats in the style of berets. [...]
- Washing the machinery during WWII. — Washing the machinery during the Second World War. Share the History Love... [...]
- Underwater Demolition Team recruits, 1969 — Underwater Demolition Team (UDT) recruits duck their heads into the mud during their training at the naval amphibious base at Coronado, CA, August 1969. Share the History Love... [...]
- Headquarters of the U.S. Sanitary Commission, 1863 — Headquarters of U.S. Sanitary Commission during the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. The U.S. Sanitary Commission was a civilian organization authorized by the United States government to provide medical and sanitary assistance to the Union volunteer forces during the Civil War. Share the History Love... [...]