Professor Thaddeus S. Lowe’s military balloon near Gaines Mill, Virginia. The photo shows the inflation of the balloon “Intrepid” from portable gas tanks with help from the Union soldiers in Henrico County, Virginia. The balloon was used to survey the Battle of Fair Oaks. Lowe, not visible in this image, is standing to the right of the balloon.
Military Balloon, 1862
- WAVES in a low pressure chamber, 1943 — WAVES on duty at NAS [Naval Air Station], Jacksonville, Florida on October 14, 1943. They are seen in the low pressure chamber at the main dispensary during a special run. The altitude is 18,000 feet to 30,000 feet. Share the History Love... [...]
- Farmerettes pack peaches, 1917 — Farmerettes pack peaches on a Virginia fruit farm on August 1, 1917. Share the History Love... [...]
- Paratrooper awaiting medical evacuation in the A Shau Valley, 1969 — A wounded U.S. paratrooper grimaces in pain as he awaits medical evacuation at base camp in the A Shau Valley near the Laos border in South Vietnam on May 19, 1969. Share the History Love... [...]
- “Baker” test during Operation Crossroads, 1946 — The “Baker” explosion, part of Operation Crossroads, was a nuclear weapon test by the United States military at Bikini Atoll, Micronesia, on July 25, 1946. Photo above was taken from a tower on Bikini Island, 3.5 miles away. The wider, exterior cloud is actually just a condensation cloud caused by the Wilson chamber effect, and was [...]
- Barber shop in the Tule Lake Relocation Center, 1942-1943 — Women pose outside the barber shop in the Tule Lake Relocation Center, in Newell, California. Photo taken in 1942 or 1943. Share the History Love... [...]