Elizabeth Servaty married Adolph Toepperwein in 1903. The son of a well-known gunsmith, Alolph began practicing his marksmanship skills as an adult and joined a circus. When Elizabeth married Adolph, she had never held or fired a gun before. However, her natural talents for marksmanship became obvious quickly. Within two years, the husband and wife toured throughout the world as exhibition shooters under the name “The Famous Topperweins” (their Americanized name). Elizabeth was known by her nickname “Plinky.” The duo toured together until her death in 1945.
- Female guards learning how to sight guns, 1942 — Share the History Love... Female guards, placed on duty at the Naval Ordnance Plant, operated by the Hudson Motor Car Company in Detroit, Michigan, learn how to sight guns on August 7, 1942. In the front row, the girls sight 38 caliber police pistols; those in the back row with 30-30 rifles. At present the [...]
- Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller at their wedding, 1956 — Share the History Love... Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller at their wedding. The were married in a civil ceremony at the Westchester County Court in White Plains, New York, on June 29, 1956 and, two days later, had a Jewish ceremony at Miller’s agent’s house at Waccabuc, New York. Share the History Love... [...]
- Rutherford & Lucy Hayes on their wedding day, 1852 — Share the History Love... Rutherford B. Hayes and his wife Lucy on their wedding day on December 30, 1852. Share the History Love... [...]
- Mug Shots: Bertha Boronda — Share the History Love... Mug shot: A photograph of someone’s face especially one made for police records. The word ”mug shots” comes from the British slang word “mug” meaning “face.” Early in the morning on May 30th, 1907, Bertha, believing her husband was planning on leaving her, took a razor and sliced off his penis. While her [...]
- Alexander Graham Bell kisses his wife inside a tetrahedral framewor... — Share the History Love... Alexander Graham Bell kisses his wife Mabel Hubbard Gardiner Bell inside a tetrahedral framework on October 16, 1903. Share the History Love... [...]