Balloon man leaning against post in Washington D.C., 1920.
Balloon Man, 1920
- USS Akron over the Lincoln Memorial, 1931 — Share the History Love... The airship USS Akron (ZRS-4) flying over the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., 1931. The Akron was destroyed during a thunderstorm off the coast of New Jersey on April 4, 1933. All but three of the 76 crew and passengers were killed – it was the greatest loss of life in any airship [...]
- Woodsman on the Mooselookmeguntic Lake, 1943 — Share the History Love... A woodsman wearing spiked shoes opens up an empty boom at the upper end of Mooselookmeguntic Lake (Maine) so it can be filled with more logs from the Kennebago River, 1943. Share the History Love... [...]
- After the Christmas shopping rush, 1948 — Share the History Love... Macy’s department store employee cleaning up piles of debris after the Christmas shopping rush on November 30, 1948. Share the History Love... [...]
- Bureau of Standards determining the liveliness of baseballs, 1938 — Share the History Love... Using a newly designed apparatus, the U.S. Bureau of Standards workers are experimenting to determine the relative home-run qualities of American, National and International baseballs on February 21, 1938. In conducting the tests, a scientist pulls the trigger of an air gun loaded with a wooden projectile representing the slugger’s bat. [...]
- WPA’s mattress making project, 1939 — Share the History Love... WPA workers in New Orleans manufactured 17,682 mattresses and quilts to be distributed to the needy during 1939. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was established by executive order of Franklin Delano Roosevelt on May 6, 1935. It replaced the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) as the federal government agency responsible for [...]