Children gathered around and licking blocks of ice on hot day between 1910 and 1915.
Licking Blocks of Ice on Hot Day, 1910-1915
- Cantaloupe Pickers, 1935 — Share the History Love... Though farm work is strenuous and exhausting, this photograph suggests that jovial camaraderie could sometimes relieve the strain of being in the fields. Work was hard to come by in the 1930s, and these laborers probably counted themselves lucky to have found a paying job picking cantaloupes in the Imperial Valley’s [...]
- Shepherd taking sheep across Grand Coulee Dam, 1947 — Share the History Love... Joe Hodgin, an eastern Washington woolgrower, takes his herd of 2,600 sheep across the Grand Coulee Dam around 1947. Here is a video clip of the sheep herding: Share the History Love... [...]
- Trimming the Christmas tree in England, 1943 — Share the History Love... Left to right: Cpl. Michael J. Sabagh [381st HQ] of Lawrence, Mass., Pvt. Larry H. James [2021st Fire Platoon] of Campbellsville, Ky., Cpl. Goldmer S. Elkins [2003rd Fire Platoon] of Cyclone, W.Va., and Cpl. Thomas Hallingam [330th SS] of Pittsburgh, Pa., trim a Christmas tree for a party given for homeless [...]
- Distributing repaired second-hand toys, 1925 — Share the History Love... Fire Chief J. G. Sarran distributes second-hand toys on Christmas Day, 1925. The toys were repaired by members of the San Antonio fire department. Share the History Love... [...]
- Seattle fireboat Alki with Christmas decor, 1950 — Share the History Love... Seattle fireboat Alki with Christmas decor – including a Christmas tree, a star, and lights – in 1950. Share the History Love... [...]