Crowds filling streets surrounding City Hall in Philadelphia to celebrate Armistice Day, November 11, 1918. Photograph shows replica Statue of Liberty, which was unveiled on April 6, 1918 during the Third Liberty Loan drive.
First News of Peace!, Nov. 11, 1918
- Walgreens (Nashville) lunch counter sit-in, 1960 — Share the History Love... Rodney Powell (standing) talks with other sit-in participants at Walgreens drugstore in Nashville, Tennessee on March 25, 1960. On February 13, 1960, members of the Nashville Student Movement and the Nashville Christian Leadership Council began a campaign of sit-ins at “whites only” lunch counters in Nashville stores. Their goal was to end [...]
- Joseph Clovese at the last G.A.R. reunion, 1949 — Share the History Love... Joseph Clovese, G.A.R. veteran, at the 83rd and final G.A.R. reunion held in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 28, 1949. This was the first Civil War reunion for the former Union soldier who had been born into slavery 105 years earlier. Born January 30, 1844 on a plantation in St. Bernard Parish, LA, [...]
- Using skis to get around during the Battle of the Bulge — Share the History Love... With no sidewalks or pathways on the rough airfield, Maj. George Brooking found it easier to use skis to go from the briefing tent to his P-47 during the Battle of the Bulge. Share the History Love... [...]
- Anti-aircraft gun on the roof of the Government Printing Office, 19... — Share the History Love... Soldiers operate a 40mm anti-aircraft gun on the roof of the Government Printing Office, June 1944. The U.S. Capitol is seen in the background on the right. Share the History Love... [...]
- Removing a 20mm cannon from an F-100, 1967 — Share the History Love... On the hot flight line at Phu Cat Air Base, Airmen 2nd Class Francis Branch (left) and John Sellung remove a 20mm cannon from an F-100 aircraft in October 1967. Share the History Love... [...]