School children holding one of the large heads of cabbage raised in the war garden of Public School 88, Borough of Queens, New York City. The garden covers a tract of 1< acres and yielded over $500 worth of produce, ca. 1918.
Public School 88 War Garden, 1918
- Cases of TNT shipping to England during WWII — Share the History Love... Cases of T.N.T. gunpowder shipped from the United States under lend-lease are stacked in the dump in a tunnel 100 feet underground dug out of solid rock, in western England. The staff here work 24 hours a day handling lend-lease materials arriving from the U.S. to the allied countries. Share the [...]
- Odd Contests: Prettiest Legs at the Fair, 1964 — Share the History Love... The 1964 New York World’s Fair saw a slew of fascinating and interesting exhibits, shows, and even beauty contests. One of them was a contest for the “Prettiest Legs at the Fair.” Let’s just say that the women participating to get a leg up in the competition…. Share the History Love... [...]
- Barge of Dinosaurs for the 1964 New York World’s Fair — Share the History Love... Dinosaurs on a barge heading to the site of the 1964/1965 New York World’s Fair. The 1964-65 statues were created in Mahopac, New York and included a Tyrannosaurus Rex, the horned Triceratops, the plated Stegosaurus and the lovable Apatosaurus. The dinosaurs took three years to build with a team of paleontologists, [...]
- Lifted skyward by the giant Perkins man-carrying kite, WWI — Share the History Love... Lieutenant Kirk Booth of the U.S. Signal Corps being lifted skyward by the giant Perkins man-carrying kite at Camp Devens, Ayer, Massachusetts. While the United States never used these kites during the war, the German and French armies put some to use on the front lines. Share the History Love... [...]
- The Beatles arrive at JFK Airport, 1964 — Share the History Love... The Beatles arrive at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport on February 7, 1964. From left: John Lennon (waving), Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison. 1964 was the year Beatlemania swept through the United States. Share the History Love... [...]