Vincent J. Orivello of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, an American soldier, found some relatives in Sicily. Here is is seen eating ice-cream at a sidewalk cafe in Palermo, Sicily with three of his cousins around September 1943.
Finding Relatives in Sicily, 1943
- Joseph Clovese at the last G.A.R. reunion, 1949 — Share the History Love... Joseph Clovese, G.A.R. veteran, at the 83rd and final G.A.R. reunion held in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 28, 1949. This was the first Civil War reunion for the former Union soldier who had been born into slavery 105 years earlier. Born January 30, 1844 on a plantation in St. Bernard Parish, LA, [...]
- Using skis to get around during the Battle of the Bulge — Share the History Love... With no sidewalks or pathways on the rough airfield, Maj. George Brooking found it easier to use skis to go from the briefing tent to his P-47 during the Battle of the Bulge. Share the History Love... [...]
- Anti-aircraft gun on the roof of the Government Printing Office, 19... — Share the History Love... Soldiers operate a 40mm anti-aircraft gun on the roof of the Government Printing Office, June 1944. The U.S. Capitol is seen in the background on the right. Share the History Love... [...]
- Migrant agricultural worker’s family, 1936 — Share the History Love... Photo shows Florence Thompson with several of her children in a tent shelter as part of the “Migrant Mother” series in Nipomo, California. Florence had seven children and was 32-years-old. In March 1936, after picking beets in the Imperial Valley, Thompson and her family were traveling on U.S. Highway 101 towards [...]
- Removing a 20mm cannon from an F-100, 1967 — Share the History Love... On the hot flight line at Phu Cat Air Base, Airmen 2nd Class Francis Branch (left) and John Sellung remove a 20mm cannon from an F-100 aircraft in October 1967. Share the History Love... [...]