William Penn Hose Company steam engine and fire fighters in front of the company fire station on Frankford Road near Franklin Avenue, Philadelphia. Organized in August 1832, the company is still in operation and is comprised of 100% volunteers.
William Penn Hose Company, 1865
- Soldier bottle-feeding a puppy, 1946 — Share the History Love... Soldier feeds a puppy from a baby bottle during the Army-Navy Maneuvers that took place off the coast of Southern California at the end of 1946. The goal of the war games was to practice two maneuvers: Operation Mountain Goat, an amphibious landing designed to dislodge “enemy” troops, and Operation Oilskin, [...]
- Western Union bike messengers, 1911 — Share the History Love... Western Union bike messengers in Danville, Virginia, ca. 1911. The photograph was taken by Lewis Wickes Hine. Share the History Love... [...]
- Mail boat at North Manitou Island, 1903 — Share the History Love... Mail boat arrives at North Manitou Island in 1903. The island is located in Lake Michigan, approximately 12 miles west-northwest of Leland, Michigan. It is nearly eight miles long and over four miles wide, with 20 miles of shoreline. Share the History Love... [...]
- Women workers stain wings for a De Havilland DH-4, 1918 — Share the History Love... In the foreground of the photograph a group of women stain the wooden skeletons of the wings for a De Havilland DH-4 at the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company. At each station a group of women stain the wooden wings with an observer watching. In the background other employees are working and a [...]
- Coca-Cola bottling line, 1958 — Share the History Love... Coca-Cola bottling line in a Fort Scott, Kansas factory, circa 1958 Share the History Love... [...]