The spirited annual freshman/sophomore class of 1917 and 1918 tug of war. It was held at Fischer’s Mill Race in Benton County, Oregon. The class of 1918 won.
Tug of War, 1915
- Students viewing an eclipse with “sun scopes,” 1963 — Share the History Love... A group of fifth-grade students in Maywood, Illinois view an eclipse with “sun scopes” on July 20, 1963. By piercing a three-millimeter hole in cardboard boxes to create crude pinhole cameras, the students could watch an inverted image of the eclipse cross the inside of the box without harming their eyes. [...]
- International law class at Columbia, 1918 — Share the History Love... International law class in session at Columbia University in October 1918. Share the History Love... [...]
- Navy nurses and WAVES playing softball, 1943 — Share the History Love... Dorothy Wheeler, of Lincoln, Nebraska, captain of one of the Navy Nurses softball teams, slams out a long single into left field during a game at the U.S. Naval Hospital, San Diego in June 1943. Grace Nilsen, of Escanaba, Michigan is the catcher. How Navy Nurses Keep Fit – “Keep fit [...]
- Bobsled race in Locust Valley, 1916 — Share the History Love... The Matinecock bobsled crew at the annual bobsled races in Locust Valley, New York in 1916. Locust Valley, located in Nassau County, held an annual bobsled race, in which teams of women raced with teams of men. Bobsledding was an active winter pastime in the area. The Matinecock team of women, composed [...]
- “Valentine Post Office” at school, 1942 — Share the History Love... Photograph of Valentine’s Day school event for kids in Denton, Texas, 1942. In the image there is a group of students sharing a table to write cards to the left of the frame while on the right of the frame students sit in individual desks reading cards. In the background is [...]