The Washington Monument and a U.S. flag are reflected in the sunglasses of Austin Clinton Brown, age 9, of Gainesville, GA, as he joins others in the March on Washington on August 28, 1963. This photo was taken around the time of Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous “I Have A Dream” speech.
March on Washington through Sunglasses, 1963
- Odd Contests: Pumpkin Princess & Pumpkin Queen — Share the History Love... Janice Lee Ortieb, age 4, and Patricia Lynn Barlow, age 16 were elected the San Fernando Valley’s first Pumpkin Princess and Pumpkin Queen at the Balboa Mission Center on November 20, 1961. The girls will reign through Thanksgiving Eve from a throne inside a $15,000 custom-built Pumpkin House at the Balboa Mission [...]
- Children play atop a locomotive, 1975 — Share the History Love... Children play atop locomotive 5030 in Salvador Perez Park in Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1975. Share the History Love... [...]
- Union soldiers on Mason’s Island, 1861 — Share the History Love... Union soldiers on the Mason’s Island (Theodore Roosevelt Island) guarding the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. in 1861. Behind them is the Potomac Aqueduct Bridge and Georgetown University on top of the hill. During the Civil War, the island served as a storage and distribution site, and also as a training [...]
- Kindergarten costume parade, 1965 — Share the History Love... Children in costumes from Central School kindergarten paraded around town of Vernal (Utah) in their costumes, 1965. Share the History Love... [...]
- Children holding jack-o’-lanterns, 1938 — Share the History Love... Betty Ann Lowery and Donnie York holding jack-o’-lanterns in San Antonio, Texas, October 1938. Share the History Love... [...]