Came across these photos of a sport I had never heard/seen before – sand skiing. Taken in Fort Meade, Florida in December 1951, these images are a good example of people making do with what they have!
Sand Skiing, 1951
- Roller Derby Skaters at the Starting Line, 1936 — Share the History Love... Roller derby skaters, from left, Louise Thomas, Elizabeth “Libby” Hoover, Pudge Dyer, Jayne Cummings and Mildred Arndt, are started by Harry Newman on Jan. 4, 1936. Share the History Love... [...]
- Roller skating, ca. 1905 — Share the History Love... Portrait of a man in roller skates around 1905. Share the History Love... [...]
- President Bush (Sr.) playing horseshoes, 1989 — Share the History Love... President George H.W. Bush and his son Marvin playing horseshoes on the South Lawn shortly after its installation in April 1989. While serving as vice president, George H. W. Bush enjoyed playing horseshoes in his spare time. After becoming president, he had a horseshoe pit installed on the White House South [...]
- Women fishing, 1938 — Share the History Love... Women fishing in 1938. Share the History Love... [...]
- Ford campaigning atop an elephant, 1950 — Share the History Love... Congressman Gerald R. Ford campaigned from atop a circus elephant in 1950. He represented Michigan in the House of Representatives from January 1949 to December 1973. Share the History Love... [...]