Came across these photos of a sport I had never heard/seen before – sand skiing. Taken in Fort Meade, Florida in December 1951, these images are a good example of people making do with what they have!
Sand Skiing, 1951
- Using skis to get around during the Battle of the Bulge — Share the History Love... With no sidewalks or pathways on the rough airfield, Maj. George Brooking found it easier to use skis to go from the briefing tent to his P-47 during the Battle of the Bulge. Share the History Love... [...]
- Washing a flag for celebration, 1962 — Share the History Love... Women carefully washing flag for 4th of July celebration in Tallahassee on June 27, 1962. Share the History Love... [...]
- Fourth of July outing on the beach, 1920s — Share the History Love... Family members enjoy a 4th of July outing on Santa Catalina Island in the late 1920’s. Share the History Love... [...]
- Vietnam War protesters in Miami, 1972 — Share the History Love... Vietnam War protesters near the Miami Beach Convention Center during the 1972 Democratic Convention in July 1972. Share the History Love... [...]
- Navy nurses and WAVES playing softball, 1943 — Share the History Love... Dorothy Wheeler, of Lincoln, Nebraska, captain of one of the Navy Nurses softball teams, slams out a long single into left field during a game at the U.S. Naval Hospital, San Diego in June 1943. Grace Nilsen, of Escanaba, Michigan is the catcher. How Navy Nurses Keep Fit – “Keep fit [...]