Close-up of a locked ballot box used in Carson, North Dakota on October 30, 1940.
Ballot Box, 1940
- Cantaloupe Pickers, 1935 — Share the History Love... Though farm work is strenuous and exhausting, this photograph suggests that jovial camaraderie could sometimes relieve the strain of being in the fields. Work was hard to come by in the 1930s, and these laborers probably counted themselves lucky to have found a paying job picking cantaloupes in the Imperial Valley’s [...]
- Lou Hoover passing out food baskets & toys, 1930 — Share the History Love... Lou Hoover passing out food baskets and toys to children of families impoverished by the Great Depression at Washington’s Central Union Mission. Share the History Love... [...]
- WPA’s mattress making project, 1939 — Share the History Love... WPA workers in New Orleans manufactured 17,682 mattresses and quilts to be distributed to the needy during 1939. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was established by executive order of Franklin Delano Roosevelt on May 6, 1935. It replaced the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) as the federal government agency responsible for [...]
- Hoover with Mary Pickford, 1931 — Share the History Love... Film star Mary Pickford gives President Herbert Hoover a ticket for a film industry benefit for the unemployed, November 12, 1931. Share the History Love... [...]
- Suffragette with newspaper clippings, 1919 — Share the History Love... Suffrage worker with newspaper clippings on the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment granting women the right to vote by the United States Senate in 1919. Share the History Love... [...]