Wind erosion carries topsoil from farmland during the Dust Bowl, circa 1930’s.
Wind Erosion during the Dust Bowl
- Time Square during the Great Blizzard of 1947 — Share the History Love... Time Square aglow during the Great Blizzard of 1947. As LIFE put it to its readers in its Jan. 5, 1948, issue: At 3:20 in the morning it began to snow in New York City. By the time most New Yorkers were going to work the blanket lay three inches deep. [...]
- Farmer on a loaded wagon outside barn, 1925 — Share the History Love... Farm wagons were all-purpose horse-drawn vehicles that could carry crops from the field to the barn or to market. This model — with an open body and no driver’s seat — was simple, but handy. It readily hauled this load of bagged seed or grain. Share the History Love... [...]
- Gift Guide: Women’s History Buffs — Share the History Love... Here are a few gift ideas for the history buff on your list! “Vote for Women” Pennant Pin: Susan B. Anthony Birthplace Museum (History List) History Nerd t-shirt with Susan B. Anthony: History List Little Ladies: Bold Women in Black History: Amazon Hidden Figures: Amazon U.S. Women’s Suffrage t-shirt: Yesteeyear (Etsy) Rad American Women [...]
- WPA’s mattress making project, 1939 — Share the History Love... WPA workers in New Orleans manufactured 17,682 mattresses and quilts to be distributed to the needy during 1939. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was established by executive order of Franklin Delano Roosevelt on May 6, 1935. It replaced the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) as the federal government agency responsible for [...]
- Eisenhowers pose on their 39th wedding anniversary, 1955 — Share the History Love... President Dwight & First Lady Mamie Eisenhower posed for this portrait on their 39th wedding anniversary at their farm in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on July 1, 1955. Share the History Love... [...]