Lieutenant Sarah Josephine Griffin, USN(NC) (Retired), assists an injured Korean War veteran as he learns to use his two artificial legs, at the Rehabilitation Center, Naval Hospital, Oakland, California, 1951. Lieutenant Griffin, who had lost her lower left leg as a result of an accident, successfully fought to be recalled to active duty so that she could care for troops returning from combat as they adjust to their loss of limbs.
Lt. Sarah Griffin Assisting Injured Veteran, 1951
- Soldier bottle-feeding a puppy, 1946 — Share the History Love... Soldier feeds a puppy from a baby bottle during the Army-Navy Maneuvers that took place off the coast of Southern California at the end of 1946. The goal of the war games was to practice two maneuvers: Operation Mountain Goat, an amphibious landing designed to dislodge “enemy” troops, and Operation Oilskin, [...]
- Crowd watching a solar eclipse with protective glasses, 1923 — Share the History Love... On September 10, 1923, a solar eclipse lasting three hours obscured 90 percent of the sunlight over Los Angeles. The watching crowd wore protective glasses but still risked their eyesight: Color or x-ray film filters visible light but offers no protection against the infrared and ultraviolet radiation that can irreversibly burn [...]
- Joseph Clovese at the last G.A.R. reunion, 1949 — Share the History Love... Joseph Clovese, G.A.R. veteran, at the 83rd and final G.A.R. reunion held in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 28, 1949. This was the first Civil War reunion for the former Union soldier who had been born into slavery 105 years earlier. Born January 30, 1844 on a plantation in St. Bernard Parish, LA, [...]
- Using skis to get around during the Battle of the Bulge — Share the History Love... With no sidewalks or pathways on the rough airfield, Maj. George Brooking found it easier to use skis to go from the briefing tent to his P-47 during the Battle of the Bulge. Share the History Love... [...]
- Albert Einstein riding a bicycle, 1933 — Share the History Love... Albert Einstein riding a bicycle in front of Ben Meyer’s House in Santa Barbara, California on February 6, 1933. Meyer was a California Institute of Technology trustee. Share the History Love... [...]