Ada Lopez Richards is seen in this 1923 full-length portrait standing near the shore wearing a hat, necklaces and primitive dress. She is of the Tolowa tribe that still resides in northwestern California and southern Oregon – their traditional homeland.
Tolowa Primitive Dress
- Young ballerinas in LA, 1959 — Share the History Love... Young dancers of Junior Ballet Theater in Los Angeles rehearse number from ballet production on July 13, 1959 for a program scheduled for Aug. 1 in Reseda High School under sponsorship of Valley Youth Foundation. From left are Roberta Swing, Sandra Everson, Carolyn Zeller and Jo Ness. Music of Valley Symphony [...]
- USS Pensacola moored at Yerba Buena Island, 1899 — Share the History Love... USS Pensacola (screw steamer) moored at Yerba Buena Island in San Francisco Bay while conducting an artillery drill in the foreground. It was first commissioned on December 5, 1859 for towing to Washington Navy Yard for installation of machinery. She was decommissioned January 31, 1860, and commissioned in full on September 16, 1861 for [...]
- Cantaloupe Pickers, 1935 — Share the History Love... Though farm work is strenuous and exhausting, this photograph suggests that jovial camaraderie could sometimes relieve the strain of being in the fields. Work was hard to come by in the 1930s, and these laborers probably counted themselves lucky to have found a paying job picking cantaloupes in the Imperial Valley’s [...]
- Chaplin & Einstein attend a movie premiere, 1931 — Share the History Love... On February 2, 1931, film star Charlie Chaplin (center-right) attends the premiere of his newest film City Lights in Los Angeles, accompanied by his guests of honor: physicist Albert Einstein, and his wife, Elsa Einstein. Einstein, still a German citizen at the time, had been traveling in the United States, and [...]
- Interior of Chief Klart-Reech’s Whale House, 1895 — Share the History Love... The highly decorated items and interior of Chief Klart-Reech’s Whale House in Chilkat, Alaska in 1895. Share the History Love... [...]