Bobbed hair and flapper dresses epitomize the “Roaring Twenties.” Around the country, women cut their tresses for bobbed cuts while discarding their corsets and conservative clothing for loose, boxy dresses with dropped waistlines. These trends were so popular that, on February 27, 1925, Coral Gables in Florida decided to hold a beauty contest. The women were judged on one main factor – their hair. “Miss Bobbed-Hair” embodied the “Roaring Twenties” with her short, cropped hair and modern approach to femininity.
Odd Contests: Miss Bobbed-Hair, 1925
- Mug Shots: Steve McQueen — Mug shot: A photograph of someone’s face especially one made for police records. The word ”mug shots” comes from the British slang word “mug” meaning “face.” In 1972, Steve McQueen was arrested in Anchorage, Alaska for drunk driving. The famed actor posted bail and left town. He was later convicted in absentia for reckless driving. Share the History [...]
- Elizabeth Rogers at the suffrage van, 1915 — Photograph shows civic leader and suffragist Elizabeth Selden White Rogers (1868-1950) at the suffrage van, a mobile speaker’s platform and shop promoting women’s suffrage, in 1915. Share the History Love... [...]
- Odd Contests: Miss Florida Egg Queen — As we have seen through the Odd Beauty Contests series, there is a beauty contest for just about anything – including eggs! In 1961, Sandra Hooker was crowned Miss Florida Egg Queen in Orlando, Florida. Share the History Love... [...]
- At a New York City beauty salon, 1942 — A woman getting a manicure while drying her hair at Francois de Paris, a hairdresser on Eighth Street, New York City in September 1942. Share the History Love... [...]
- VIDEO: Hat Fashions in New York, 1956 — HAT FASHIONS! In New York, creations of the country’s foremost milliners for the November to January season are previewed. Ranging from chic miniature pillboxes to resplendent toques and turbans, the mood is appropriately festive. The following newsreel was produced on September 27, 1956. Share the History Love... [...]