During a 1942 Labor Day parade in Detroit, an outhouse and clown participate in a plea for war bonds. A sign at the top of the outhouse declare that it is “HITLER’S HDQTRS” while the signs on the side states: “The boys at the front are giving their lives. CAN YOU SPARE 10% for BONDS/WE ARE Buying 10% Are You?”
“Hitler’s Headquarters” in Labor Day Parade, 1942.
- Rehabilitating injuries in a hospital gymnasium, 1944 — Share the History Love... U.S Soldiers run painful race back to health. Getting over these foot-high hurdles is no easy task for Pvt. Ralph Johnson of Pittsburgh, PA who needs the strong arm of Sgt. D. D. Gilbert of Philadelphia to finish out his first race with health. Hospitalized somewhere overseas, these wounded American soldiers [...]
- Gretchen Fraser at the 1948 Olympic Games — Share the History Love... Gretchen Fraser was the first American to win an Olympic gold medal in skiing at the 1948 Olympic Games in St. Moritz, Switzerland. Fraser was selected for the 1940 Olympic team, but those Games were cancelled due to World War II. While her husband 1936 Olympian skier Don Fraser, went to war, [...]
- Drinking coconut milk during a break, 1967 — Share the History Love... A search and seizure phase of “Operation Pershing” in the village of Troun Lan, Binh Dinh Province, approximately 90 km northeast of An Khe. Sergeant George Nemosbatho (Detroit, MI), mortar Platoon Squad Leader, 1st Battalion, 12th Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), takes a drink of fresh coconut milk during a break [...]
- Odd Contests: Catfish Queen — Share the History Love... Gail Hooper, the 1953 Catfish Queen, is seen on a parade float in the mouth of a giant catfish at Pickwick Dam on August 3, 1953. Pickwick Dam is located in Hardin County which is nationally known as the “Catfish Capital of the World.” They host the National Catfish Derby each [...]
- Teddy Roosevelt in Chicago, 1912 — Share the History Love... Theodore Roosevelt in Chicago in 1912, during the Progressive Party National Convention. Share the History Love... [...]