Student at the Florida State College for Women reading about the Pearl Harbor Attack in Tallahassee, Florida, December 1941.
“U.S. At War,” Florida, 1941
- Maureen O’Hara with donated typewriters for the war effort, 1... — Share the History Love... Another load of RKO Radio typewriters is turned in to the government for war work. Somewhere in the lot is Maureen O’Hara’s personal typewriter which she added to the pile before she would pose in the picture in November 1942. The machines come from the Script Department where each one has [...]
- LBJ and Lady Bird watching the Apollo 11 launch, 1969 — Share the History Love... Former First Lady and President Lyndon B. Johnson and then-current Vice President Spiro Agnew (wearing gray blazer and sunglasses) are among the spectators at the launch of Apollo 11, which lifted off from Pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center at 9:32 am EDT on July 16, 1969. The crew, the first [...]
- Cases of TNT shipping to England during WWII — Share the History Love... Cases of T.N.T. gunpowder shipped from the United States under lend-lease are stacked in the dump in a tunnel 100 feet underground dug out of solid rock, in western England. The staff here work 24 hours a day handling lend-lease materials arriving from the U.S. to the allied countries. Share the [...]
- Adding voices to a “Popeye” cartoon, 1942 — Share the History Love... Voices for the movie cartoon characters “Popeye” and “Olive Oyl” are Jack Mercer and his wife Margie, of Schenley Park in Miami, Florida, are shown adding their voices to a cartoon on January 4, 1942. They are seen dubbing in the voice parts of a new Popeye cartoon, “Kickin” the Conga. [...]
- Lifted skyward by the giant Perkins man-carrying kite, WWI — Share the History Love... Lieutenant Kirk Booth of the U.S. Signal Corps being lifted skyward by the giant Perkins man-carrying kite at Camp Devens, Ayer, Massachusetts. While the United States never used these kites during the war, the German and French armies put some to use on the front lines. Share the History Love... [...]