President William McKinley, the 25th President of the United States, had a Yellow-headed Mexican parrot named “Washington Post.” Reportedly, the parrot was quite patriotic. When McKinley whistled the beginning of “Yankee Doodle” the parrot would complete it.
President McKinley’s Parrot
- JFK & Jacqueline on their wedding day, 1953 — Share the History Love... Senator John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy on their wedding day at Hammersmith Farm on September 12, 1953. Share the History Love... [...]
- LBJ with civil rights leaders in the White House, 1964 — Share the History Love... In this January 18, 1964 photo, President Lyndon B. Johnson, right, talks with civil rights leaders in his White House office in Washington. The leaders, from left, are, Roy Wilkins, executive secretary of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP); James Farmer, national director of the Committee on [...]
- Shepherd taking sheep across Grand Coulee Dam, 1947 — Share the History Love... Joe Hodgin, an eastern Washington woolgrower, takes his herd of 2,600 sheep across the Grand Coulee Dam around 1947. Here is a video clip of the sheep herding: Share the History Love... [...]
- Reagan gets ready to play Santa in 1983. — Share the History Love... President Reagan gets ready to play Santa in 1983. Share the History Love... [...]
- Lou Hoover passing out food baskets & toys, 1930 — Share the History Love... Lou Hoover passing out food baskets and toys to children of families impoverished by the Great Depression at Washington’s Central Union Mission. Share the History Love... [...]