Testing a bulletproof vest in Washington, September 13, 1923. I wonder how the man came to be the “test dummy.” I guess he drew the short stick….
Testing Bulletproof Vest, 9/13/23
- Shepherd taking sheep across Grand Coulee Dam, 1947 — Share the History Love... Joe Hodgin, an eastern Washington woolgrower, takes his herd of 2,600 sheep across the Grand Coulee Dam around 1947. Here is a video clip of the sheep herding: Share the History Love... [...]
- Santa Claus soaking his feet, 1940 — Share the History Love... This December 1940 photo shows an exhausted Santa Claus bathing his tired feet in a hot mustard bath. On Christmas night in 1940, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer gave several accounts of Santa Claus’ long day. The police reporter noted that Santa was “unacountably missing” from the North Pole for twelve hours. A [...]
- Tallest Christmas Tree — Share the History Love... According to Guinness World Records, the world’s tallest cut Christmas tree was a 212 ft Douglas fir erected and decorated at Northgate Shopping Center in Seattle, Washington in December 1950. It had 3,600 Christmas lights on it. It could be seen from 0.6 miles away. Share the History Love... [...]
- Seattle fireboat Alki with Christmas decor, 1950 — Share the History Love... Seattle fireboat Alki with Christmas decor – including a Christmas tree, a star, and lights – in 1950. Share the History Love... [...]
- Gift Guide: Women’s History Buffs — Share the History Love... Here are a few gift ideas for the history buff on your list! “Vote for Women” Pennant Pin: Susan B. Anthony Birthplace Museum (History List) History Nerd t-shirt with Susan B. Anthony: History List Little Ladies: Bold Women in Black History: Amazon Hidden Figures: Amazon U.S. Women’s Suffrage t-shirt: Yesteeyear (Etsy) Rad American Women [...]