Zim’s Note: The top and bottom photos immediately reminded me of the “I Love Lucy” episode with Lucy and Ethel in the candy factory. The scene of them frantically sorting candy is one of my favorites of the entire series.
- Lumberjacks with a 12-foot wide fir tree, 1901 — Share the History Love... Lumberjacks pose with a 12-foot-wide fir tree in 1901. Share the History Love... [...]
- Cantaloupe Pickers, 1935 — Share the History Love... Though farm work is strenuous and exhausting, this photograph suggests that jovial camaraderie could sometimes relieve the strain of being in the fields. Work was hard to come by in the 1930s, and these laborers probably counted themselves lucky to have found a paying job picking cantaloupes in the Imperial Valley’s [...]
- Odd Contests: Prettiest Legs at the Fair, 1964 — Share the History Love... The 1964 New York World’s Fair saw a slew of fascinating and interesting exhibits, shows, and even beauty contests. One of them was a contest for the “Prettiest Legs at the Fair.” Let’s just say that the women participating to get a leg up in the competition…. Share the History Love... [...]
- Barge of Dinosaurs for the 1964 New York World’s Fair — Share the History Love... Dinosaurs on a barge heading to the site of the 1964/1965 New York World’s Fair. The 1964-65 statues were created in Mahopac, New York and included a Tyrannosaurus Rex, the horned Triceratops, the plated Stegosaurus and the lovable Apatosaurus. The dinosaurs took three years to build with a team of paleontologists, [...]
- Jewish women pray along the Williamsburg Bridge, 1909 — Share the History Love... Jewish women pray along the Williamsburg Bridge in New York City on New Year’s Day 1909. Share the History Love... [...]