The National Christmas Tree is located near the White House and has been illuminated by the United States President since the 1920’s. The first president to initiate this annual tradition was President Coolidge in 1923. Middlebury College in Vermont (Coolidge’s home state) donated the 48-foot tall balsam fir which served as the first National Christmas Tree. Illuminating the tree were 2,500 electric red, white and green bulbs donated by the Electric League of Washington. On Christmas Eve, at 5:00 p.m., President Coolidge lit the tree.
Information: National Park Service