Here are some photos of how various presidential administrations celebrated Halloween.
Halloween in the White House
- Elvis meeting Nixon, 1970 — Elvis Presley meeting Richard Nixon. On December 21, 1970, at his own request, Presley met then-President Richard Nixon in the Oval Office of The White House. The Nixon Library & Birthplace sells a number of souvenir items with this photo and the caption, “The President & the King.” Share the History Love... [...]
- Free meal at Ellis Island — Immigrants being served a free meal at Ellis Island. Share the History Love... [...]
- Civilian Conservation Corps putting up a fence, 1941 — Civilian Conservation Corps boys putting up a fence, Greene County, Georgia, May 1941. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated during the Great Depression for unemployed, unmarried men as part of Roosevelt’s New Deal. Share the History Love... [...]
- Watching fire in the distance during the Great San Francisco Earthq... — Arnold Genthe’s famous photograph, looking toward the fire on Sacramento Street after the Great San Francisco Earthquake on April 18, 1906. In As I Remember local photographer Arnold Genthe recalls the morning of the first day of the fires and how the photograph above came to be: I found that my hand cameras had been so [...]
- Franklin Pierce in uniform, 1852 — Half plate daguerreotype of Franklin Pierce in uniform as a Brigadier General in the Mexican-American War, 1852. Share the History Love... [...]