Here are some photos of how various presidential administrations celebrated Halloween.
Halloween in the White House
- George H. W. Bush with Babe Ruth, 1948 — Future president George H. W. Bush, captain of the Yale baseball team, with Babe Ruth in 1948. The famous ball player is handing Bush the manuscript of his autobiography which he was donating to Yale University. Share the History Love... [...]
- Eli Smith: Journey from Nome to Washington — Not much is known about Eli Smith besides that he was born in Wisconsin around 1856. On November 14, 1905, he hitched up his dogsled and left Nome, Alaska. His destination was Washington, D.C. Armed with a letter from the Nome postmaster to the postmaster general in Washington, D.C., Smith set out on a journey [...]
- Lady Bird Johnson reading to children, 1966 — The First Lady reading to children enrolled in Project Head Start at Kemper School in Washington, DC on March 19, 1966. Zim’s Note: As a librarian, I love the ‘shushing’ girl on the Johnson’s left side. Share the History Love... [...]
- Truman receiving gifts from the Seminoles, 1947 — President Truman receiving gifts from Seminole Indians in Everglades City, Florida on December 6, 1947. Share the History Love... [...]
- President Nixon and James Fletcher discuss the Space Shuttle, 1972 — President Richard M. Nixon and Dr. James C. Fletcher, NASA Administrator, discussed the proposed Space Shuttle vehicle in San Clemente, California, on January 5, 1972. The President announced that day that the United States should proceed at once with the development of an entirely new type of space transportation system designed to help transform the [...]