Here are some photos of how various presidential administrations celebrated Halloween.
Halloween in the White House
- Opening of Lincoln Park swimming pool, 1925 — Children at the opening of Lincoln Park swimming pool in Seattle, 1925. This pool was dug out of dirt with a retaining wall of rocks along the sides. It filled with salt water from Puget Sound. A muddy bottom and control valves that did not always contain the water eventually required a pool made of [...]
- Young shoeshiner in New York City, 1924 — Young shoeshiner around City Hall Park in New York City on July 25, 1924. Share the History Love... [...]
- Alexander Milliner: Washington’s favorite drummer boy — Alexander Milliner enlisted as a drummer boy who served in Gen. Washington’s Life Guard unit. He was reportedly a favorite of Washington’s, often playing at his personal request. He was present at the battles of Brandywine, Monmouth – where he was shot in the thigh after a bullet passed through his drum – Saratoga, White Plains, [...]
- Gutzon Borglum plants a flag at the top of Mount Rushmore, 1925 — Gutzon Borglum plants a U.S. Flag at the top of Mount Rushmore, October 1, 1925. He is accompanied by Jesse Giles (middle) and Ray Sanders (right). Share the History Love... [...]
- Quentin Roosevelt on Algonquin at the White House, 1902 — Quentin Roosevelt on his pony, Algonquin, at the White House, 1902. Share the History Love... [...]