Here are some photos of how various presidential administrations celebrated Halloween.
Halloween in the White House
- Pauline Wayne: First Cow — President William Howard Taft’s pet cow, Pauline Wayne, used to graze on the lawn of the White House and the State, War, and Navy Building (now the Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building) next door. In 1910, Taft’s previous cow, Mooly Wooly, died after eating too many oats. Wisconsin senator Isaac Stephenson bought Pauline Wayne [...]
- Nixon and family at Disneyland, 1959 — Vice President Richard Nixon and his family enjoying the Disneyland parade on June 14, 1959. The Nixons were on hand at Disneyland to help dedicate the brand-new, never-before-seen Monorail system. Share the History Love... [...]
- Child with tiger cub, 1937 — Unidentified child with tiger cub photographed during the the National Geographic Society-Smithsonian Institution Expedition to the Dutch East Indies, 1937. Share the History Love... [...]
- Waiting on the snowy stoop to go to school, 1979 — Abby Horowitz and Jason Brenner sit on a snowy stoop as they wait for their mothers to take them to kindergarten. Share the History Love... [...]
- Suffragists picket the White House, 1917 — Crowd outside the White House on July 14,1917, just before the sixteen woman suffrage pickets were arrested. Share the History Love... [...]