Here are some photos of how various presidential administrations celebrated Halloween.
Halloween in the White House
- Displaying Slug at the Mooring Mast Field’s Dispensary, 1941 — The Marine Corps Air Station Ewa was located on Oahu’s southwest shore. The U.S. Navy began leasing parts of the area in 1925 but the Marine Corps Air Station at Ewa was not formally commissioned until February 3, 1941. Officers had barley moved into their quarters at Ewa when the attack on Pearl Harbor occurred. Unlike other airfields that [...]
- Helen Keller & Grace Coolidge, 1926 — On January 11, 1926, Helen Keller visited the White House. She also had a photo-op with First Lady Grace Coolidge. Interacting with a person in the deaf community was nothing new for the First Lady. In 1904 – before her marriage to the future president Calvin Coolidge – Grace began her teaching training course at [...]
- Rita Hayworth Buys First 1943 War Bond — The year 1943 started out with a bang as the first war bond of the year was sold to actress Rita Hayworth at one minute after midnight. She was in the studio of the Columbia Broadcasting System representing Columbia Studios. The “titian-haired” star purchased a $10,000 bond from John R. Richards (shown on the left). [...]
- Ringing in the New Year — Four unidentified people wearing party hats are ringing in the New Year in one of the ballrooms at the Jonathan Club. They all pose in front of a large clock, which shows the hands at “11:58”. Christmas garland and pine cone decorations can be seen to their left. The Jonathan Club, located at Sixth and [...]
- New Years in Chinatown, 1912 — Two men celebrating New Years in Chinatown, 1912. Share the History Love... [...]