Here are some photos of how various presidential administrations celebrated Halloween.
Halloween in the White House
- KKK raid on San Pedro’s IWW Hall, 1924 — Share the History Love... San Pedro, California was a hotbed of Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) activity during the 1910s and early 1920s. IWW efforts to organize workers were often met with violence by individuals and organizations that saw them as a threat. In June 1924, the Ku Klux Klan attacked the members of [...]
- Dedication of the Sherman Memorial, 1903 — Share the History Love... Crowds gather near the White House (E and 15th Street) for the dedication of the William Tecumseh Sherman Memorial in 1903. In the background, the Washington Monument is visible. Share the History Love... [...]
- Inserting filaments into small light bulbs, 1925 — Share the History Love... A woman is photographed while inserting filaments into small light bulbs, ca 1925. Share the History Love... [...]
- Portrait of Martin Van Buren, 1850s — Share the History Love... Portrait of Martin Van Buren by Matthew Brady sometime between 1855-1958 Share the History Love... [...]
- Julia Obear on a bicycle, 1922 — Share the History Love... Informal portrait of Julia Obear, wearing knickers, sweater, and cap, standing outdoors with bicycle on October 21, 1922. She worked as a “messenger girl” at the National Woman’s Party headquarters in Washington, D.C. Share the History Love... [...]