Here are some photos of how various presidential administrations celebrated Halloween.
Halloween in the White House
- The Wizard of the Oz cast reunited, 1970 — Share the History Love... Publicity photo of American entertainers, (top) Ray Bolger, (bottom; L–R) Margaret Hamilton and Jack Haley, reunited in 1970 in commemoration of their roles as the Scarecrow, the Wicked Witch of the West and the Tin Man respectively, in the 1939 feature film, The Wizard of Oz. Share the History Love... [...]
- Creating Halloween art, 1964 — Share the History Love... Sarah Hampton, 7, of Reseda, wields an artist’s brush from her wheel stretcher at Orthopedic Hospital in preparation for Halloween. Looking on is Mrs. Williamson of the Los Angeles School Board. Share the History Love... [...]
- Magicians gathered for a midnight seance, 1946 — Share the History Love... Thirteen magicians gather around a chair on which are a portrait of Houdini, two candles, a book, and handcuffs, for a midnight seance on Halloween, 1946, in Detroit, Michigan. Share the History Love... [...]
- Bobbing for apples at Fort Sheridan, 1970 — Share the History Love... Mike Graham comes up with an apple in the apple bobbing booth during Halloween festivities in Fort Sheridan, 1970. Share the History Love... [...]
- Nixon speaks to troops in Dĩ An, Vietnam, 1969 — Share the History Love... President Richard Nixon speaks to American troops in Dĩ An, Vietnam on July 30, 1969. Share the History Love... [...]