I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July! It’s one of my favorite holidays. Whether it’s the flag-lined streets, the abundance of red, white and blue, fireworks or the overall patriotic sentiment, it’s also a good time to think about all those serving overseas and their families, both now and in the past, and to remember that our freedom was far from cheap. Additionally, I think it’s a good time to remember that America was founded not just on those fighting but also on the working class. On the farmers, teachers, truck drivers, factory workers, secretaries, gas station attendants, nurses, etc…. Those that put food on our plates, technology in our hands and bandages on our skinned knees as well as those fighting on the country’s behalf. America is the “Land of the Free” because farmers picked up pitchforks to defend it. The ideals that we defend so adamantly today. This day marks the anniversary of the Second Continental Congress’ adoption of The Declaration of Independence. That document holds some of the famous and well-known words ever written. Words that still resonate in the hearts of all Americans and I hope that as you celebrate today, you feel as lucky as I feel about living in the “Land of the Free.”
Happy 4th of July!
- D-Day in Pictures: Part VI — Share the History Love... D-Day in Pictures: Part I D-Day in Pictures: Part II D-Day in Pictures: Part III D-Day in Pictures: Part IV D-Day in Pictures: Part V “We got on the beach and they have all these people laying down on the beach that were killed, it was chaos” – SSG Walter Ehlers, 18th Infantry [...]
- Medical evacuation patients on the USS Tripoli, 1967 — Share the History Love... Wounded Marines on the deck of the Amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli (LPH-10) await transfer to the 22nd Casualty Station in Danang from which they will be sent to the States, July 1967. Share the History Love... [...]
- Gift Guide: History Book Lovers — Share the History Love... Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! Bourbon: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of an American Whiskey by Fred Minnick: Amazon A Salvage War: A Military History of the Civil War by Williamson Murray and Wayne Wei-siang Hsieh: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite – an [...]
- Gift Guide: Presidential History Fans — Share the History Love... Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! Presidential socks (Lincoln, Washington, and Kennedy): Amazon Presidential slogan mug: The Unemployed Philosopher’s Guild Clashing political parties cuff links: National Archives George Washington cookie cutter: Amazon The Roosevelts: An Intimate History: Amazon Pez [...]
- Gift Guide: History Film Lovers — Share the History Love... Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! The Loving Story: Amazon The Finest Hours: Amazon Suffragette: Amazon Bridge of Spies: Amazon Son of Saul: Amazon Liberty! The American Revolution: Amazon The Dust Bowl: Amazon Eyes on The Prize: America’s Civil Rights [...]